Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,784   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're right Bruce, I've been involved in photography for over 40 years and also run a laboratory and in all that time I've never seen any 5 litre glass bottle, the old UK size was a Winchester close to 2.5 litres.

I have seen and in fact own larger glass containers but aside from wine demijohns they are always in a cage of some description. Ilford supplied chemistry in large returnable glass containers as well as Winchesters until some time in the 1960's when they switched to plastic.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Common boxed wine comes in 5L cubitainers. They make very good containers for storing chemistry too, if you don't have to be able to put the chemistry back in the container after using it.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    All good suggestions here. By way of further background, I've been using 1.2 gallon glass jugs for 20+ years in my darkroom...I use them for everything - developers, fixers, you name it. Now comes a set of C-41 chemistry from Trebla all of which mixes to 5 litres...all of them. I think the best option is to find a plastic alternative and run with that.

And thanks for all your help!!!

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pickles (et cetera) come in gallon jars. Would those work?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by streetshot View Post
    All good suggestions here. By way of further background, I've been using 1.2 gallon glass jugs for 20+ years in my darkroom...I use them for everything - developers, fixers, you name it. Now comes a set of C-41 chemistry from Trebla all of which mixes to 5 litres...all of them. I think the best option is to find a plastic alternative and run with that.

And thanks for all your help!!!

Michael
    I use the Trebla kit too.

I don't mix up the whole thing at once, simply mix and replenish as I go.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

i use the 5 liter conteainers where demineralised water is sold at supermarkets.
    perfect for xtol. only mix it up inside and ready.
    when it tends to 1 liter i use a 1 liter bottle for the storage.

i realy think that sometimes we want to be better than the best

analog greetings

thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nobody has mentioned the wine cask bladders. They come in 2 - 4 - 5 - 20 litre sizes and the air is easily expelled with them on their back so's no oxygen is there to spoil your fun!

Keeps for ages (like years). The plastic is mylar I believe and the opacity stops light getting into the act. Keep them in the cupboard anyway.

As a desperate act one could even ditch the wine. Aaarggghhh!

In our house they are available very often. Since they weigh next to nothing the postage would be minimal.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I mix in a large SS stock pot, and store in 1 liter bottles. But then I one shot, or single session everything except fix.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin