Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,535   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Source for 5 litre glass bottles? OR would I be better off with plastic?

I've combed these forums looking for posts without luck. I'm trying to locate a source of supply for 5 litre glass bottles to store C-41 chemistry and it appears this size is simply not available.

That said, perhaps I would be better served by some kind of plastic container though I resist this option because of oxidation issues.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Best,

Michael

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you might try a Container Store, that is where i got some gallong size glass jugs, plastic may be easier to fine. In fact I may have one at the lab, but won't be going in until next week some time as we are between sessions.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2.5 litre plastic or glass would be far better than a 5 litre bottle. I don't remember ever seeing 5 litre or 1 gallon glass bottle, although demijohns were once used for bulk chemistry and are still used for home wine making.

Ian

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ian, too bad your so far away or i would send along some 1 gallon bottles. We always used glass until it became harder to find due to regulations about glass containers in labs.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    ian, too bad your so far away or i would send along some 1 gallon bottles. We always used glass until it became harder to find due to regulations about glass containers in labs.
    Thanks Ann. You know I'd struggle to use US Gallon bottles as it's a non standard measure

I have a car boot (trunk) full - over 30 - of Demijohns (Imperial gallon) if anyone needs some and some brand new 2.5 litre brown bottles.

Fuji sold chemistry in demijohns in the late 1950's and early 60's.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's wrong with using a pair of 2.5-litre bottles instead of a single 5-litre bottle?
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A five litre glass bottle full with chemicals ... imagine slipping the grip on that beauty.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How many do you need? I'm pretty sure a have a few galon size brown glass bottles in my basement. PM me, and I'll let you know for sure.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by streetshot View Post
    I've combed these forums looking for posts without luck. I'm trying to locate a source of supply for 5 litre glass bottles to store C-41 chemistry and it appears this size is simply not available.
    It's probably not a normal size. And if it were, it would be quite heavy.

Best I've found is old wine bottles -- restaurants throw out dozens every day and are usually quite happy to have your help in recycling. I like the 1.5 and 1.0 liter sizes for chem storage. To close them I like the VacuVin vacuum stoppers. Hard to image doing any better for darkroom chem storage.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Head to your local college and ask the chemical safety officer. I've gotten two beautiful 5L brown glass bottles that way which held something they used pretty regularly. Just make sure you get the lids too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin