Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,564   Online: 770

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think the new Portra 400 is based technology from Kodak's Vision3 motion picture stock.

Kodak Vision3 is a true technological tour de force. Supposedly it gets 18 stops of range and the grain is astonishingly tight, almost non existent. I've always wondered why it took Kodak so long to use some of that technology in a still film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vision3's technology such as dye layering was added in 400NC-3 and 400VC-3 some years ago. They just improved it even more. So it didn't take very long.

Shooter
    35mm

Filter Packs?

Can anyone tell me where I might find the filter pack information for making optical prints with this film? I assume that the filter pack is used to neutralize the orange mask of the processed negative.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Processed my first roll the night before last, the new Portra 400 is stunning. It may be a small difference on paper, but aesthetically imho it is a very large improvement over any other film in that category.

Did they make the new Portra 400 thinner? It certainly feels that way when handling to load on reels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think there will be any doubt that any film made by Kodak, Ilford, etc. will not be a bad one. (Ektar 100 may be an exception. Not really "bad," just extremely far from my cup of tea.)

It is just frustrating to see the palette reduced yet again for analog color printers. It is no big deal for those who don't use a darkroom. You just do your computer stuff and you can highly manipulate any film. The big appeal of Kodak's 400 color films over Fuji's was that there were two varieties.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's impressed me significantly by a straight print, colour balance is well, the same as with printing where you dial it in.

Otherwise I'd say experiment with various techniques, imho a lot more could be done with this particular film.. I just need to get some hands on some RA-4 paper.. got everything else finally set up including the chemistry.

edit: Of course I understand what you mean though and how you feel, more film choice = more variety = more happy film shooters, that goes doubly for scanning too. Whatever workflow I think I'd be reaching for the new stuff though.
    Last edited by Athiril; 02-21-2011 at 01:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin