Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,309   Online: 1121

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's great news! I'm glad it works for you. After mixing, how much chemistry does this make? Sounds like we have a pre-packaged and not terribly expensive C-41 kit.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Looking at this: http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...ls/z101_02.pdf, it looks like the bleach is used full-strength, and the fixer diluted 1+1.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't meant to bump an old thread…

The F1 developer kit looks like it'll last a good amount of time used one-shot; the final rinse looks like it'll last a long time with reuse (but that's no big deal…final rinse is cheap); and it looks like there's plenty of fixer for lots of rolls (but again, E6 fixer is cheap and plentiful).

But looking at how much bleach there is in the F2 kit, it doesn't look like enough to process the ~200+ rolls claimed in the processing document. That is…the bleach is used full strength and aerated, and there isn't a lot at all. :/

What have been your experiences?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I contacted Champion ( the maker of Kodak chemicals) to see about small home darkroom kits in Canada, they said they'd be happy to supply any mixing and dilution instructions for the bulk chemicals, but were not able to supply hobby sized kits. So- if you're stuck on mixing and dilutions, send Champion Photo Chemical an email. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    These kits are setup to replenish.

I will one shot the developer but the working bleach, fix, and stabalizer are very long lasting and should be used replenished even if you one shot the developer.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    These kits are setup to replenish.

I will one shot the developer but the working bleach, fix, and stabalizer are very long lasting and should be used replenished even if you one shot the developer.
    Alright. So I'm looking over the z101 manual, and the replenishments are given as "mL/m 35mm"—I'm reading that as "milliliters per meter per 35mm roll." The replenishment rate section, however, gives different values in mL per roll. It also doesn't give another value for the bleach—it only says something about the importance of aerating and compensating for developer contamination in the bleach (wouldn't I do a stop in 100dF water to prevent that?).

I'm going to presume that I need to replenish at about ~4mL each time I process a roll. I'll aerate the bleach by pouring it from container to container for a minute every couple rolls. Is that right?

(I should've stuck to the simple kits…but I've gotta learn sometime. lol)

Update: I understand now… it's "milliliters per meter of 35mm film." How silly of me. I understand now. Even still, I'm worried that there simply isn't enough bleach here at all. I'm not supposed to dilute this at all?
    Last edited by keyofnight; 01-28-2013 at 02:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The simple kits aren't that simple in practice, reuse without replenishment means time must be adjusted to correct for changes in the chemistry to maintain consistency and that's a less than perfect situation.

First before I forget, and because I don't know what kind of tank you use, understand that the tank needs to be able to "breathe" during the bleach step, true of all brands. The process off gasses a bit and will push the tops off. Leave the fill hole uncapped.

Regarding the bleach, the largest volume I need is 570ml so that is the volume I keep in my 1-liter bottle. I shake vigorously, open the cap and blow fresh air in, recap and shake again, do that a few times between each run.

To replenish in theory I use the 570ml then put us back in the bottle, if I ran one roll I'd pour off 4-5ml of the solution from my working solution and replace it with 4-5ml of fresh un diluted bleach from the "kit". 5 rolls/25ml. The big investment is the first 570ml, after that its a very frugal process.

Fix and stabalizer have a different and higher rate, the solutions turn over more quickly.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Concerning the Developer:

First of all, make a “tank solution” of Developer with this stuff.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...41SM_Tank.html

Than replenish (if you have to) take 13ml per meter of film by your replenisher mixed from the F1 Box.
    http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...ls/z101_02.pdf

For intermittent use in a home hobby lab I would not recommend to replenish the developer. You will probably not have the continuous throughput to keep the developer stable. For bleach and fix, on the other hand, replenishing is fine and saves money. Usually the bleach is not only the most stable part but the most expensive too…

Regards, Stefan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan4u View Post
    Concerning the Developer
    I'm not too worried about the developer. All three parts are included in the box, and the instructions for mixing them are pretty simple enough.

First before I forget, and because I don't know what kind of tank you use, understand that the tank needs to be able to "breathe" during the bleach step, true of all brands. The process off gasses a bit and will push the tops off. Leave the fill hole uncapped.
    I've got stainless steel daylight tanks. I'll make sure I uncap after agitating.

Regarding the bleach, the largest volume I need is 570ml so that is the volume I keep in my 1-liter bottle. I shake vigorously, open the cap and blow fresh air in, recap and shake again, do that a few times between each run.
    Cool. I'll aerate mine the same way! I was going to pour the solution between beakers a few times, but that could get messy.

To replenish in theory I use the 570ml then put us back in the bottle, if I ran one roll I'd pour off 4-5ml of the solution from my working solution and replace it with 4-5ml of fresh un diluted bleach from the "kit". 5 rolls/25ml. The big investment is the first 570ml, after that its a very frugal process.
    Alright! I'll need about 450mL for my tank.

So: is that first 570ml also undiluted from the "kit"? Or did you dilute it with water somehow? I know earlier in the thread, people ascertained that we should use the bleach full strength…but there just doesn't seem to be enough there.

I just called Kodak about this…they told me to either buy a bleach starter, or to buy the Flexicolor SM Tank Bleach solution. I couldn't get them to tell me what was in the F2 bottle. I guess that's my big question: what exactly is in the F2 bleach bottle? Is it undiluted concentrate for making tank solution? It's called a "replenisher" in the z101 document, but how much different is it from the tank solution they sell?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keyofnight View Post
    So: is that first 570ml also undiluted from the "kit"? Or did you dilute it with water somehow? I know earlier in the thread, people ascertained that we should use the bleach full strength…but there just doesn't seem to be enough there.
    Oy! I'm dense! I understand now. Thanks for the help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin