Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,481   Posts: 1,571,142   Online: 1160

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ahh thank you!

You mean those plastic Coke bottles that hold 1L?

But how would I squeeze the air out? It doesn't look like that thing will squeeze in a very nice shape....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know which kind of bottles are available there, but here beverages are sold in "thin" PET bottles that can be squeezed quite well to about 0.6x of original volume, or to 0.8x without losing form too much. So, the available series of 0.33L - 0.5 L - 1 L - 1.5 L - 2 L here works for any volume. Of course the bottle loses its shape if squeezed much, and in extreme cases cannot retain the original volume. Furthermore, squeezing and expansing the bottles for dozens of times can make the plastic brittle, so don't reuse them too many times. Common sense works here quite well, and if you use 1 liter bottle to store 1 liter of solution, the problems are nonexistent.

Almost close the cap. This restricts the speed of air coming out when you squeeze. This way you'll quickly learn how to displace all of the air, as you can look at the thin neck of the bottle and solution rising up, and when it stops rising, close the cap tightly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was using PET bottles until I was showing my daughter my darkroom one day (she loves seeing pictures come out of 'nothing' and in fact she is the one pushing me to do color, kids don't get B&W) and she said my indicator stop bath in clear PET bottle looked like orange juice. To me the yellow looks too yellow to be orange juice, perhaps it looks like Mellow Yellow or Mountain Dew but anyways, the thought of her drinking it sent horrible thoughts into my mind. I bought all brown bottles and threw out all my PET bottles the same day, I don't want ANYTHING in my house that reminds my kids of orange juice, especially when the low odor citric acid stop bath almost smells like something you could drink. No thanks, no more re-used PET bottles for me...

I do need to know about storing and using color chemicals though. I really want to get into developing and printing my own color and need to see what I can get here in Ontario Canada as most of the Canadian companies seem to have nothing. Perhaps I can see if my local lab can sell me chems and papers since they must be using them.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look up Mr. Yuk.

It is a graphic that kicked off hazardous material labelling quite some time ago.

I had the graphics guru here at work harvest a copy of the Mr. Yuk logo, and clone a whole array of them onto a page.
    I then copied the page onto a sheet of labels.

I cut out a label and stick it on the lid of a bottle anytime I put something not safe to eat in the fridge, or otherwise store it outside of my darkroom.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, yeah. I should probably invest in some warning labels...

Don't worry, this was just after the first session, and was specifically arranged for comic effect; I've taken measures since then. I've also been squeezing every bottle, not just the developer as seen here.

Edit: Let it also be known that that yogurt isn't mine. I only eat the 8% stuff.
    Last edited by tbeaman; 12-11-2010 at 01:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to clear up the yogurt thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LOL, I love that pic. Wouldn't be nice if you mistook the blix for Coke.

Back on topic though, I dont get how you can even squeeze those bottles. Like do you crush them like an accordion? Do you re-use the chemistry? I mean, I think if you fill them to the brim and use funnels, I don't see how you would need to squeeze your bottles unless you're sloppy and lose alot of chems. I plan on re-using them for a very long time, I probably plan on doing maybe one roll per shot, and if things work out I'll increase my shooting so I can do maybe 5-6 rolls a month.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was thinking it looked more like black cherry soda, but I suppose the result would be the same.

If you look at the bottles of stabilizer and blix there, you'll see that they aren't filled to the top, even though those are ostensibly 1 liter bottles and that is very much exactly one liter of liquid in each. So squeezing is necessary, as was done with the developer bottle in behind (notice that the "DEV" label is slightly deformed).

It isn't an elegant operation, but you simply squeeze the sides of the bottle between thumb and forefingers. Try it on a bottle of soda sometime and you'll see. You'll also see why others advise not to re-use them too often; it does put stress folds into the plastic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm more intrigued by the clear cream soda in the photo.

The last time I noticed it was sold as clear I was living in Australia, where it is called creaming soda, which at least makes a bit of sense.

In Canada I though all Cream Soda is sold coloured red.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have any chance that children or other people not accustomed to darkroom chemistry will visit your darkroom, of course you should label all the chemicals clearly. This is regardless of the origin of the bottles. Brown color can, of course, be an extra precaution, but not enough IMO if you are concerned about safety, and it has its own drawbacks. Clear labeling with big labels works for both "soda bottles" and commercial chemistry bottles, brown or clear.

Squeezing is almost too easy, much easier than with accordion bottles because of these facts:
    1) thin neck -> more visual precision in solution level & less air captured there even if you close the cap too early. Not possible with accordion bottles at all!
    2) clear plastic -> you can actually see the solution level. Extra benefit: you can evaluate the solution for color and insoluble matter
    3) Tight caps that have a clear point when they are tightly closed. I've found most accordion bottle caps worse.

So, you squeeze like this: almost close the cap. Squeeze the both sides of the bottle between your thumb and forefingers, see how the solution is rising in the bottle. Simultaneously, use your other hand to close the cap, to the point when you cannot squeeze anymore. Then open the cap a bit, so that squeezing is possible again but with restricted speed. Then, squeeze until you see the solution hit the cap, or you can feel how you cannot squeeze anymore, as all of the air has come off from the small gap where solution cannot pass. At the same time, without loosening the grip, close the cap. Actually writing or reading this description will take much more time. It will take 5 seconds to do it properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I posted a video showing this... It's not that hard lol .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdu4cCOrf3I

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin