Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,117   Online: 1224

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Images

Fuji Crystal Archive

On another forum this paper is considered Butt Ugly, crap, gross, as well as other negative terms like too contrasty, inconsistent, and poor rendition of color.

Needless to say they don't like the paper. I personally have never gotten anything printed on it but I noticed that many places are moving to this paper as they print on lightjets and other digital printers. I am about to send some chromes off to be printed but am hesitant.

What are your opinions of this paper, and possible good and bad experieinces. Being somewhat color blind I do not trust myself in evaluating proper rendition of colors.

I used to get ilfochromes done but my old printer went entirly digital and upped their prices too high for me to use them anymore.

Any info will help.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use this in my darkroom, and I have nothing but good experiences. I've tried a few Kodak papers with mixed results. Most recently it was Supra Endura, which was muddy and had terribly low saturation compared to CA. I use Fuji film, which may have something to do with it, at least according to some recent discussions on photo.net.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use CA with both Fuji and Kodak films. Both yield excellent results.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do most of my printing on this stuff through a frontier. Never had any issues, cept maybe that a strait b&w print will kind of pink under certain light times.

Might be worth the time to go get an account at ezprints.com )its free) and have them send you the free sample calibration images if you want to have a first hand look.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    What are your opinions of this paper, and possible good and bad experieinces. Being somewhat color blind I do not trust myself in evaluating proper rendition of colors.
    I use it, love it and do all my work on it. However, I print mine using a Chomira digital printer via West Coast Imaging. See: http://www.westcoastimaging.com/

for information on this product.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji Crystal Archive once was rather a special purpose paper, but now there isn't much else left and current Kodak papers claim to have similar durability. I have not yet found anything negative, but if you really need subtle color rendition or if your prints are too contrasty, you should try Agfa Portrait.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use it in my darkroom mainly with Agfa films, and I think it is great.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a different look from Ilfochrome, but I have some good prints on Crystal Archive, and I've seen many other good prints on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crystal Archive is excellent paper. It comes in three flavours, but I have only used two, C and P. C has a bit more punch and contrast than P. The difference is probably less than 1 grade in B&W. It works well with most films I've tried and I am told especially well with fuji films. I have seen fuji product labeled Professional Crystal Archive and product label Crystal Archive. I am not sure if there is a difference -- I have only used the stuff labeled Professional.

I know portrait and wedding photographers who prefer Kodak's Portra or Fuji's P and will even go so far as to hate the other. I suspect if you shoot one film and require extreme colour fidelity the nuances become something much larger.

The closest thing to an ilfochrome would be FujiFlex or kodak's DuraFlex. They are palastic photographic 'papers' with extremely high gloss, apparent if not realy high resolving power and the most punch of anything done using RA4. The Kodak seems about 50% heaveir than the Fuji and both mark, scratch and show fingerprints readly.

Both are standard RA4. Meaning they don't require the processor to run at half speed like DuraTrans or DuraClear. Kodak now sells theirs under the Endura label, which claims archival longevity. I am not sure if fujiFlex has the same longevity as Crystal Archive.

FWIW I prefer the newer Kodak papers over the Fuji's. I believe that the film you use will make a difference, but my stuff tends never to get muddy on any paper.

PJC

Greetings,

If you like glossy Ilfochromes, then you will most probably like Crystal Archive Fujiflex paper. I personally would never consider printing a portrait on it, but it can produce wonderful landscapes, etc.

Regards, Pete

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin