Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,070   Online: 909

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the Formulary kit works for me. I have used it and gotten fine results. It is cost effective when you consider that the developer has the lowest capacity and when you have it up and running, all you need is fresh developer. The solid powder kits are not as good, as are kits with a blix. Liquid kits with a bleach then fix are best for C41.

I would add that they are packed under nitrogen for the ultimate in stability.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bit by bit, because of this community, this seventy-something newbie, is becoming at least a little more knowledgeable about chemical sourcing.

Thank you, all, for taking the time to reply…

Just a few months ago, and after some fifty, or too many years of wanting and waiting a darkroom, I enthusiastically looked forward to purchasing a jobo atl 2300 and doing some b&w, c-41, and e-6 processing.

I optimistically scrounged around for an expensive jobo expert drum, a tempering valve, plumbing, filters, and an electrical outlet.

Now, when I went to buy the chemicals for E-6 processing, I'm finding that kodak has discontinued their 5 liter, six bath chemicals, and I'm seeing people not happy with the three bath chemicals and various issues.

Not only, for a new user anyway, is it hard to find the chemistry, but with both E-6 and C-41 processes, many companies will not ship, and require in-store purchases, or if they ship, the costs are expensive.

Could I have gotten into this film processing affair, at a worse time, at least what seems to be for chemical availability?

At my age, I my enthusiasm for ‘affairs’ is rapidly becoming rather limited…

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jon falth View Post
    ... Now, when I went to buy the chemicals for E-6 processing, I'm finding that kodak has discontinued their 5 liter, six bath chemicals, and I'm seeing people not happy with the three bath chemicals and various issues.

Not only, for a new user anyway, is it hard to find the chemistry, but with both E-6 and C-41 processes, many companies will not ship, and require in-store purchases, or if they ship, the costs are expensive.

Could I have gotten into this film processing affair, at a worse time, at least what seems to be for chemical availability?
    It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.

I think that as a community we will make this the best of times. Will it be as easy as dropping off a roll at the local 1 hour joint? No.

But I believe as we work through the changes as the new poineers, we'll leave a trail for those behind us that will be solid, repeatable, and reliable.

We'll get there.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jon falth,

Kodak is not the only manufacturer of E-6 5L chemistry.
    Inquire at the industrial-importers of the competitors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    jon falth,

Kodak is not the only manufacturer of E-6 5L chemistry.
    Inquire at the industrial-importers of the competitors.
    Thank you for the tip.

But at this point because of my unfamilarity with the processing industry elsewhere, I am not aware of who are the active players, importers/exporters, of similar chemicals in this arena...

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just bought and used the E-6 kit that Freestyle sells, it worked great! It was on my doorstep within a week of my order for $5 shipping, in fact the biggest problem I had was locating containers to mix and store the chemistry because the kit arrived so fast.

For C-41 I was looking at this kit http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r.html#reviews from B&H, but with people saying that powder is not the way to go for BLIX I'm not sure.

I don't know if anyone has ever brought this up, but I wonder if a local photo processing place can or would sell you chemistry from their minilab?
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chemistry, paper, film, it is all getting harder to get. Anyone doing color darkroom work at this stage of the game who plans to do it for a while should, in my opinion, strongly consider looking into mixing and using home brew chemistry as has been suggested. In addition to the real stuff I used home brew recipes for RA-4 and C-41 with good results. It may not be quite as good as the real stuff but it is that ace in the hole for when the real stuff gets even harder to get, or finally goes away.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So what exactly does the Formulary kit contain, and what makes it so dangerous? (I assume the bleach right?).
    Are the chemicals already mixed in their working solutions (developer, bleach, fix, stablizer/rinse)? Please pardon me if I am straying a little offtopic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Formulary kit contains everything you need for C-41 film processing as liquid concentrates packed under nitrogen.

You mix up working strength according to instructions and use as per Kodak's C-14 instruction sheet.

You do not need to buy anything extra.

PE

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I would add that they are packed under nitrogen for the ultimate in stability.
    So in your opinion would the Formulary kits have the same shelf life as the Kodak kits, considering they are "repackaged"?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin