Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,925   Posts: 1,522,116   Online: 788

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Where to Purchase C-41 Chemistry and ship method?

I am taking the plunge, and wish to try processing 4x5 color negative film using C-41 chemistry on my jobo 2300 in a jobo 3010 drum.

My needs are to process only 10 - 20 sheets a month.

I was told to use kodak Fleixcolor SM:

Tank Developer 1756337
    Tank Bleach 8824690
    Tank Fixer 8462681
    Tank Final Rinse 1925254

Does anyone know a supplier that will ship this chemistry mail, UPS, FEDEX?

Are there alternative process chemicals available

I'd appreciate tips and suggestions short of sending out my film for processing.

Thank you

Jon

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jon, A good option for low output C-41 processing is the C-41 Digibase sold by Freestyle in two size kit's. One 10 film (Roll) kit and one 20 film kit.
    The 10 film kit makes 500ml of working solution and the 20 roll kit 1000ml working solution.
    This link should get you going as far as getting an idea about the quality.
    I have developed a few 120 rolls and a few 8x10 sheets and i am impressed by not only how the negatives look but also the RA4 prints from the negatives look.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/7...se-c-41-a.html

Freestyle ships the C-41 Kit Fedex ground
    Last edited by JLP; 12-03-2010 at 06:37 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added Info.

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can process using alternative C-41 chemistry. See the related thread(s) for details. I scratch-mix C-41 in 1-liter volume. I reuse the chemistry replacing the developer in 4-6 weeks and the bleach and fix as determined by their respective activity levels. With a stop bath and rinses in between steps the bleach and fix last quite a long while--a couple of months at least depending on the amount of film they process.

Using this method you must invest in bulk chemical stock (the kind in jars, but perhaps it wouldn't hurt to buy some of the Wall St. kind as well), a good scale, pH meter, and some storage and mixing glassware. I find it easy to scatch-mix chemistry rather quickly, certainly no more time than is required for ordering and awaiting shipments to arrive.
    Last edited by mts; 12-03-2010 at 08:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar correction
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Formulary has 1 L kits of C-41 chemistry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish I could get my hands on good stuff.

Nobody wants to ship these to Canada for some reason. What gives?
    And Kodak's Rochester HQ is sooo close to Toronto (don't know if that matters), it appauls me that I can't even get any trace amount of C-41 here.

Basically the only thing that I can get ar those darn powder kits. Unicolor and Tetenal (I think they're the same too).

Not fair.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On the "four-letter auction site". Search for "flexicolor f1", "flexicolor f2" and "flexicolor rinse".

Shooter
    Multi Format

pakor.com

Pakor.com has the kodak chemistry, I've bought it from there and had it shipped UPS. Kodak is cheaper per roll (and IMNSHO, better) than that Rollei/maco stuff from Freestyle. Adorama will sell and ship everything except the bleach (which they sell, but pick-up instore only I think). There's other suppliers online as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah poo. Those are C-41 in bulk. I've considered the Tetenal Press Kit, but I'd love to actually use the Formulary's repackaged Flexicolour in 1L. I definitely don't need that much. The entry on their website only says "Developer" but I assume this kit also contains the bleach, fix, and stablizer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Liberty film supplies in minnesota.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by little-infinity View Post
    I wish I could get my hands on good stuff.

Nobody wants to ship these to Canada for some reason. What gives?
    And Kodak's Rochester HQ is sooo close to Toronto (don't know if that matters), it appauls me that I can't even get any trace amount of C-41 here.

Basically the only thing that I can get ar those darn powder kits. Unicolor and Tetenal (I think they're the same too).

Not fair.
    Actually, Photographer's Formulary *will* ship their repackaged Kodak Flexicolor 1L kit (repackaged because Kodak only sells larger quantities now) to Canada - I checked with them. I haven't been able to find another retailer who will ship liquids chems to Canada, and the local photo store who deals with Rollei film has indicated their distributor can't get the Rollei-branded Fuji chem kit, either.

The other places, it seems, don't want to be bothered with the cross-border hazmat paperwork (I don't blame them, it's not their primary business).

Unfortunately, the Formulary-repackaged kit is not overly cost effective vs. local dev. only processing. The kit is US$28.95 plus US$35.75 for shipping (via USPS) to me here in Winnipeg. Assuming a capacity of 16 rolls x 36 exp (same listed capacity as the Unicolor kits), that's $4.04/36 exp. roll. Dev-only is $4-5 at most places I've checked.

I was about to go the powdered-kit route as well, but I've managed to hook up with a fellow Winnipegger who has repurposed some Konica mini-lab chems for home use. So, that might be one route if you're in TO.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin