Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,322   Online: 930

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format

Refrigerating color developing agents

I have seen in the b&w forum of those who have refrigerated glycin to increase its life. Does anyone know if that will work with CD-3 and CD-4? Can any problems result? Do they even need it or will they last indefinitely?

RPC

Shooter
    35mm
    Something I have long pondered and will soon find out as I return to C-41 developing soon. I've done it with D-76 but it wasn't a long time enough test. When I suggested freezing in the B&W forum a few years ago everyone ran screaming from the room, so to speak.

But why not? These are just chemicals, organic and not, they are not veggies with cellular structures that change when frozen. Obviously, when frozen no chemical actions or degrading can be taking place.

I'm not sure if you mean the powdered developer - which is, AFAIK, stable - or mixed, liquid chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keeping CD-3 and CD-4 (dry powder or granules) in the freezer should work, but be sure to allow time for warm up, or you wil get clumping from condesation. I keep my stock of PPD (base) in the freezer, and it seems to keep well. The CD's are long chain organic salts of PPD.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry for being off-topic. Mike, for my general education, what do you use PPD for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    These are just chemicals, organic and not, they are not veggies with cellular structures that change when frozen.
    Actually, developers ARE organic agents. Usually one variant of benzene or another.

Shooter
    35mm
    As I said, "Organic and not"........... But certainly not cellular.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PPD for a diy stable afaik replenishable developer that I have mixed under the moniker of 777. I know it is not Germain's Panthermic 777, but it works when I am shooting the volume of 35mm and 120 that it needs, because it needs to eat regularly to stay stable. Google 777 unblinking eye for a good discussion/

It is also fun to fiddle with the Sease developers.

Do wear gloves when using the stuff, particularly if you get into replenishement, or you will at the very least be wearing silver stains.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is some great reading. And it looks like 777 uses legendary glycin just like Ansco 130. I think I'm going to order some today. Thanks Mike!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My CD-2 has kept very well out of the fridge, never been in... depends how long you want to keep it for?/How long you'll think before you go through it all?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin