Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,225   Online: 911

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Small quibble - the pic on the page shows a 36-exp. package of Superia 400 - if that's even available anymore (I haven't seen any locally), the store-branded versions are usually 24-exp. anyway. The 24-exp. package is probably what's available for US$2.

That said, I agree with the audio blog that a big factor in the perceived quality of this film, or many consumer colour films, is the processing - if you can get clean and cheap c-41 processing locally, you're in luck. Since Costco pulled their minilab machines across Western Canada, I have yet to find local processing that's both cheap and good (eg, my negs don't come back scratched). I have since connected with someone locally for some repurposed minilab chems, and have started to process my own, which so far is working out just fine, but that may not be an option for everyone.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Small quibble - the pic on the page shows a 36-exp. package of Superia 400 - if that's even available anymore (I haven't seen any locally), the store-branded versions are usually 24-exp. anyway. The 24-exp. package is probably what's available for US$2.

That said, I agree with the audio blog that a big factor in the perceived quality of this film, or many consumer colour films, is the processing - if you can get clean and cheap c-41 processing locally, you're in luck. Since Costco pulled their minilab machines across Western Canada, I have yet to find local processing that's both cheap and good (eg, my negs don't come back scratched). I have since connected with someone locally for some repurposed minilab chems, and have started to process my own, which so far is working out just fine, but that may not be an option for everyone.
    Amen. Costco was great about 90% of the time till the dying last months of film work when competent operators(yes, they did exist)got relocated around the warehouse and replaced by goofs. I'm not liking what's left, whether Loblaws or way pricier pro lab dev/proof that's overkill for non-critical, 'round the house 35mm candids. I'm also not relishing the inevitable embrace of survivalist C-41 home processing. B&W is fine but C-41 and E6 processing are deeper into hazmat territory than I'm willing to go. The headaches associated with 35mm get relieved occasionally by a Canon G12, though I'm still wedded to my pro labs for 120 C-41 and proofing and printing b&w.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin