Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 727

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Total Lunar Eclipse on film

I'm wondering if anyone caught the total Lunar Eclipse, which was the visible in North America last night, on film. Over at the Online Photographer, someone posted some digital images taken in Northern California.

In one of them, after totality, when the rim is beginning to brighten again, he complains that his sensor was unable to capture the full brightness range and I was wondering if 400 speed film would've done a better job. It would be interesting to see a comparison at that same stage, as unlikely as that seems. But that site gets a LOT of traffic, and it's be nice to have a link over there to a nice image of the end of the eclipse on film, showing its superior range.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I slept through it unfortunately... was supposedly clear around that time as well though clouds were on and off so it is hard to know unless I'd been awake :-(
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunatly, it was snowing here last night, too cloudy.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Harry -- just down the street from you -- it was perfectly clear and wonderful. I don't have a long enough lens to have done it justice, but it was a treat.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I slept through myself. I think that Walter/Wendy Carlos used to photograph eclipse years ago.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    Harry -- just down the street from you -- it was perfectly clear and wonderful. I don't have a long enough lens to have done it justice, but it was a treat.
    Darn...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I shot some Provia 100F in my Canon A-1, but based on my last E-6 experience, I will probably have forgotten this thread by the time I see the results. I also used "that other" technology, so I have some vague confidence that I'll get a few "workable" shots. But mostly it reminded me that I am sorely ill-equipped for such an exercise. In the total phase, even 10 or 20 second exposures show significant motion without a tracking mount of some sort. During the beginning, I was able to use fairly quick exposures, those are sharp. I do so little of astro stuff I can no way justify the gear to do it right, so I think of my efforts as creating souvenirs to jog the memory.

It was fairly clear here in the Philadelphia 'burbs, but it was in the 20s, so at 3:45 am or so, I decided sleep was more important than tracking the return to full moonlight!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Not this one, I have photographed a few others (B&W on 5x7 and 8x10 cameras). I stepped outside a few times to enjoy this one.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I woke up several times during the night to check things out. Unfortunately, since west Michigan is the cloudiest place in the country, the eclipse was obscured. But it was interesting to note how the light coming through the clouds and reflecting off of the snow covered substantially dimmed and then brightened as the event transpired.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Messed this one all cloudy,but the one I did see a couple of years ago was pretty neat,thought that was what they call a blood moon,its pretty red.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin