Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,845   Online: 1168
      
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    921
    On "drugstore" scansto CD: Unless something has changed, those scans were in the order of 1.5 megapixels. OK for making an index or something, but not for any serious work.

  2. #22
    mikecnichols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Marion, VA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    345
    Images
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    On "drugstore" scansto CD: Unless something has changed, those scans were in the order of 1.5 megapixels. OK for making an index or something, but not for any serious work.
    It depends what machine and who is using it. Fuji frontiers can scan at an optical 5000dpi with an output of 300dpi at the smallest. A Noritsu can scan in at at least 4000 optical dpi with an output of 72-96 dpi. Ironically, I find that the 72dpi is more versatile and more printable at larger sizes than the 300. I think it is that the actual size is larger at 72 vs the 300, therefore at "equal" dpi, the 72 prints better.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecnichols View Post
    It depends what machine and who is using it. Fuji frontiers can scan at an optical 5000dpi with an output of 300dpi at the smallest. A Noritsu can scan in at at least 4000 optical dpi with an output of 72-96 dpi. Ironically, I find that the 72dpi is more versatile and more printable at larger sizes than the 300. I think it is that the actual size is larger at 72 vs the 300, therefore at "equal" dpi, the 72 prints better.
    Well, that's puzzling. I can't recall how old or what the situation was that I had a Walgreens Photo CD and found those small images. If the local Walgreens Noritsu can scan at that level, I've wasted a lot of time scanning my film A couple of times when I ordered "develop only," and they tried to sell me scanning, I told them why I didn't order it. They were in agreement.

    Guess I'll check it out again. Or, maybe the CVS across the street, I don't recall their machine.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    602
    As others have stated, it depends on the staff. Where I am the local drug stores offering in house C-41 service are CVS and Rite-Aid, and Rite-Aid does send out E-6 (and other films like 120 but I don't use that service). They do a good job, and I have only found a mark on my print once, whatever it was I was able to just rewash the strip of film and Photo Flow it and it was fine.

    The girls at Rite-Aid have done hundreds of rolls of film for me and that was the one time that I had a problem, that wasn't my fault, I once had them process a roll of film that I didn't expose so I can't blame them for that. I will admit that when I see new staff behind the photo counter i get a little scared, but they do fine.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

    Me

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    921
    I just took a roll of Ektar 100 into Wolf Camera, it's the remnant of the last "real" store in Sarasota, Florida. Al least many of the people working there have been there for years, and some go back to the precursor Norton Camera, way back. So......

    $4.50 to develop only - cheaper than Walgreens! - and $4.99 to scan to CD at 2400 dpi. I should have asked if that was just their normal, or the max for the machine. It's a Fuji Frontier.

    The clerk asked if he could help me, and with the roll on the counter, I said, "Yes, I'd like this film developed." He responded, "Film, hun?" We both laughed. The internet or onsite digital uploads are what keep the lab guys employed.

  6. #26
    mikecnichols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Marion, VA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    345
    Images
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    As others have stated, it depends on the staff. Where I am the local drug stores offering in house C-41 service are CVS and Rite-Aid, and Rite-Aid does send out E-6 (and other films like 120 but I don't use that service). They do a good job, and I have only found a mark on my print once, whatever it was I was able to just rewash the strip of film and Photo Flow it and it was fine.

    The girls at Rite-Aid have done hundreds of rolls of film for me and that was the one time that I had a problem, that wasn't my fault, I once had them process a roll of film that I didn't expose so I can't blame them for that. I will admit that when I see new staff behind the photo counter i get a little scared, but they do fine.
    That's how I get at Walmart when I bring in my already processed film for CD scan...LOL! It makes me feel more confident and happier that I process my own film now!

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mountain House, California
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    18
    I have had pretty good success with Costco. You might try that if yours has a film processor (some don't). I, too, get my film scanned. One thing that I really like about my Costco is that they will scan B&W (or previously processed color negs) and put them on CD for me. If I put several roles in the same envelope then they will put them all on one CD and it only costs me the price of one scanned set of images or basically the cost of one CD (last time was ~120 exposures on one CD for about US$3.00). They are usually about 1.5 MB scans. That is great because everywhere else creates one CD per roll. So, in this case, that would be 4X the price. I have had good success with C-41 when they have done that for me as well.

  8. #28
    mikecnichols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Marion, VA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    345
    Images
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by terryw View Post
    I have had pretty good success with Costco. You might try that if yours has a film processor (some don't). I, too, get my film scanned. One thing that I really like about my Costco is that they will scan B&W (or previously processed color negs) and put them on CD for me. If I put several roles in the same envelope then they will put them all on one CD and it only costs me the price of one scanned set of images or basically the cost of one CD (last time was ~120 exposures on one CD for about US$3.00). They are usually about 1.5 MB scans. That is great because everywhere else creates one CD per roll. So, in this case, that would be 4X the price. I have had good success with C-41 when they have done that for me as well.
    That's what I've been doing with Walmart lately....I develop two rolls at a time at home and then go have them scan them to one CD for $3. I am not as big of a fan of the Fuji scans as the Noritsu, but they work too.

  9. #29
    zsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    1,962
    Images
    74
    Price Check Alert: the CVS near me has C-41 process only for $2.19!!


    I have had 6 or so color neg rolls done there and had have great experience! They use Kodak chems.
    Last edited by zsas; 08-26-2012 at 10:03 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: type-OH
    Andy

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Texas USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    101
    Images
    20
    My local 24 hr Walgreens is OK. They use Kodak chems which they change out regularly. Develop + scan + 1 set prints was about $12 for 36 exposure and $1 off online coupon. They don't do any color corrections. Still, I have gotten much better developing and scans from NCPS and Precision Camera mail order.

    Kent

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin