Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,157   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

CVS film developing?

I have a bunch of just regular Ektar 100 and some expired film I need processed and I am not filthy rich, I was just going to scan them to CD's anyway so I could post on here, should I pull the trigger? Doing negs and a CD.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S / 90 3.8 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / 5D d*****l / L lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's hit-or-miss. I had to stop using the one by my house because the negatives were coming back with an unacceptable amount of schmutz and crud on them. But your CVS may be better than my CVS. I suggest you try one roll to start with and see how it goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used both CVS and Walgreens. Both do well enough for me, though I'm not very particular. I stopped using CVS after I noticed that they were cutting through the negative a disturbing number of times to sleeve them. Never had a problem with Walgreens, I just wish it was cheaper. Its about $9 here to get the film processed and scanned to a CD, no prints. I feel like I should get higher resolutions scans for that price, but you can't beat it for convenience.

I'd also suggest giving them a test roll and see if you like the results, every location is going to vary.

Adam

Shooter
    35mm
    it depends entirely on the individual staff at the particular store you use. My local Target is very good, but I wouldn't trust any random Target as much.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What others have already said, some CVS's do pretty good and some of them will ruin your film. Give them a trial roll before you trust them with anything important.
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! The CVS stores around me still carry TriX, but none of them have a C41 line any more. The only one left with in store processing right around me is Walgreens. The closest Target is far enough I never get to it. And Costco is near Target. I don't make it there much either.

But I agree that it is the local staff, not the chain that determines if they're worth a hoot.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on the machine and how it is kept in your individual store. However, I doubt there are many people left in any drugstore chain who really know anything about photo processing. By now it has to be the blind leading the blind. They probably provide their lab techs with no formal training whatsoever on how to handle negatives. I watched a clerk grab my film in the middle without even considering that fingerprints might be an issue. My prints also came back all covered with crap, and my negs scratched all to hell. I am sure that means that the chemistry is ill maintained as well. I say do it when you are in a rush doing crummy snapshots, but never for anything you actually care deeply about and/or want to blow up yourself or at a pro lab. The scans are pretty crummy too. I'd rather spend the same $12 for developing and scanning that I gave to CVS at a pro lab, even if it meant just having proof prints and no scans. Pro lab fees are a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things. They are well worth it IMHO.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    It depends on the machine and how it is kept in your individual store. However, I doubt there are many people left in any drugstore chain who really know anything about photo processing. By now it has to be the blind leading the blind. They probably provide their lab techs with no formal training whatsoever on how to handle negatives. I watched a clerk grab my film in the middle without even considering that fingerprints might be an issue. My prints also came back all covered with crap, and my negs scratched all to hell. I am sure that means that the chemistry is ill maintained as well. I say do it when you are in a rush doing crummy snapshots, but never for anything you actually care deeply about and/or want to blow up yourself or at a pro lab. The scans are pretty crummy too. I'd rather spend the same $12 for developing and scanning that I gave to CVS at a pro lab, even if it meant just having proof prints and no scans. Pro lab fees are a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things. They are well worth it IMHO.
    As for Walgreens, this is very untrue. Your training is ESSENTIAL before you can deal with film and paper in the wet labs. Depending on what machine you have, the machine tech also goes through training with you. The training is very thorough, I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am very surprised that this is the case based on what I have seen, but good for them.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I am very surprised that this is the case based on what I have seen, but good for them.
    It just sucks that overall, the mini lab is being replaced with dry labs and not doing 35mm any longer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin