Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,647   Online: 1126

Images

Any Experience with A&I Mail order lab?

I am starting to do some side portrait and wedding work after about 18 months off. I no longer have the volume of business for the "wedding lab" I was using, so I am in search of a good alternative. Has anyone used A&I lab recently for C41 processing and proof prints? How about with C41 B/W? I plan on doing a test run with them, but before I fork over the cost of 5 mailers (their minimum) I thought I would ask here.

Any other suggestions?

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin up near Yosemite, knows the people who have a lab in Dublin. Ask him about their services.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've used Chromacolor in San Diego for a couple of years; mainly for processing 4x5 E-6. They have good prices and good service and turn around times. There is no one locally that can do it this work for me, so I am forced to use mail order for processing. Their web address is: http://www.chromacolor.com/
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Found the info on the Dublin people.

E7-J 925-829-0222 Eric is the woner and Kurt the lab guy. When I was talking to Kevin about them, he said they do it the old fashioned way. Can even do the push processing you want. Takes me about 70 minutes to get to your part of the bay. They are a good 40 minutes from me, so about the same for you. Nice to be able to talk direct to the company rather than trust phone and mail.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've used the A&I mailers quite a lot for E-6 and K-14 when they were doing it (including E-6 and even K-14 push processing) and occasionally for C-41 machine prints, but never for C-41 B&W, and I've been quite happy with them. The quality is just as good as the best NYC pro labs at about half the price using the mailers, but obviously with a longer turnaround time.

I recommend bundling mailers and sending them in a box. I usually use the small Priority Mail boxes that are about the size of a book or a VHS tape. Before then I sent them separately, and I've only lost one roll that disappeared around 9-11 during the anthrax scares, when postal facilities were being shut down.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin