Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,923   Online: 862

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Kodak Elite Chrome Extra Color and E100VS

I have repeatedly read that these two films are essentially the same material just aged differently. I would like to take the opportunity to say: these films have little in common apart from both being Kodak E6 films. The colors look distinctly different, with the Elite Chrome having a much more artificial and unnatural look. Whatever the difference may be, it's not from aging or storing, as I have mistreated E100VS badly but still got very similar looking results out of it (if this means I don't look carefully this should tell you how different the Elite Chrome looks if even I see huge differences).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    I have repeatedly read that these two films are essentially the same material just aged differently. I would like to take the opportunity to say: these films have little in common apart from both being Kodak E6 films. The colors look distinctly different, with the Elite Chrome having a much more artificial and unnatural look. Whatever the difference may be, it's not from aging or storing, as I have mistreated E100VS badly but still got very similar looking results out of it (if this means I don't look carefully this should tell you how different the Elite Chrome looks if even I see huge differences).
    Do you have any examples to share?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecnichols View Post
    Do you have any examples to share?
    The left slide (Scan-100425-0026_1.jpeg) is E100VS while Scan-20101031-0034_1.jpg is Elite Chrome 100 Extra Color. There are differences is lighting and scenery but none which could explain the difference in color palette IMHO. The scans mostly represent what the slides show, but be aware that I have no color corrected equipment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan-100425-0026_1.jpeg   Scan-20101031-0034_1.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually your results are pretty typical of the two very different lighting conditions you shot.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Actually your results are pretty typical of the two very different lighting conditions you shot.
    I am a long time and regular E100VS shooter in all kinds of lighting conditions. I know that evening sun creates a reddish cast but I've never seen colors like these on the right slide before, just look at the grass. I tried Elite Chrome because it's half the price of E100VS but will use it only if I like the particular colors it creates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    The left slide (Scan-100425-0026_1.jpeg) is E100VS while Scan-20101031-0034_1.jpg is Elite Chrome 100 Extra Color. There are differences is lighting and scenery but none which could explain the difference in color palette IMHO. The scans mostly represent what the slides show, but be aware that I have no color corrected equipment.
    Thanks for sharing....definitely a huge difference there. It's interesting to see things like this side by side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to agree, my experiments with E100VS have been much better than their cheaper predecessor, my biggest issue with E100vs was its seeming sensitivity to over exposure and blocked up highlights when processing...Seems to work a bit better if it is slightly under-exposed than the latter, especially when cross-processing in C41 Chemistry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to play devil's advocate... I don't think a meaningful comparison can be made with two different pictures in completely different scenes. If there's one thing photography should teach us is that our eye's have an amazing ability to compensate. That's why we need light meters and light temperature meters.

I know that evening sun creates a reddish cast but I've never seen colors like these on the right slide before, just look at the grass.
    I don't doubt that there is a difference in the two, but so many things can come into play that might alter the appearance, including but not limited to differences in storage, differences in exposure, differences in scanning, differences in original scene, differences in proessing, etc.

Your examples are taken in the two most different lights one could imagine; bluish, diffuse, overcast lighting and end of day (or god forbid the morning), warm, sunset, directional light.

I'd like to see a more controlled experiment before making any conclusion.

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies. I agree that the color of the light at a scene has a big impact on how colors come out. Here I post 2 more pics which have much more similar light. Both were taken in broad day light supported by strong flash to brighten up the shadow regions. Since the flash has about constant color temperature, I'd call the lighting close to comparable (as close as it gets).

What I notice is not just a different color cast. E100VS produces, despite all it's strong colors, very natural colors IMHO. Elite Chrome Extra Color looks very artificial to me, extremely saturated with very high contrast, sort of like Velvia, but yet more artificial. This is not something I can change with filters or in a hybrid work flow.

PS: Both pics are just as they come out of my scanner, no corrections whatsoever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan-20101031-0031.jpg   Scan-20100731-0030.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    I understand your sentiments, but the images posted are SO different, any comparisons are meaningless. You need to shoot the same scene, at the same time, with both films, then post as examples.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin