Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,621   Online: 751

Shooter
    Medium Format

Proper cardboard for slide mounts?

Can anyone suggest the best type of cardboard used to mount color slides? The type Kodak used is not thick--about the thickness of regular chipboard--but much stiffer. I have a die cut for manufacturing my own Super Slide cardboard mounts on a letterpress. These are the 4x4 cm format mounts for 127 film or for cropping down 120 film to run alongside 35mm slides in a regular Carousel projector.

I have a good adhesive system for mounting and already made some of these from regular chipboard. They work pretty good--but I'd like something stiffer.

Gepe no longer makes glass Super Slide mounts and new old stock ones go for a fortune on ebay--so I really want to be able to make my own cardboard ones.

Advice appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have much detail at hand, but I would take a look at "tag" board or "Bristol" board. Some art supply places carry Bristol board in two surfaces and 2, 3 and 4 ply, it might be worth a look.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Made some tonight with Bristol Board and dry mount tissue. I die cut the tissue to size same as one side of the fold-over mount and positioned it with a tack iron on the corners before mounting the slides (base side up facing the tissue). Sealed with the same tack iron pressing down all four sides from the outside. . Seems to work quite well much like the old Kodak Ready-Mounts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could you use 35mm mounts, with the opening enlarged?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    You may want to check the Reflecta mounts available from here -> http://www.scandig.com/slide-photogr...ounts-200.html

These are re-usable and have been using them for years. Also they do not get jammed like the typical cardboard mounts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes I like the idea of starting with 35mm heat seal mounts and cutting them larger. I tried this and they seal within about 2 seconds each in my Seary Slide Mount Press. Aside from projection, this also makes a convenient way for scanning 127 film since there are no templates or holders available for unmounted 45mm film with computer scanners. Thanks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin