Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,969   Posts: 1,523,457   Online: 970

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used Kodak TP from 1990's, developed in Rodinal and Technidol with very good results.

Here are two examples:

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/art/Venice-4-160250588

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/art...agreb-77728878

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frozen slow film can be good for 25-30 years past its expiration date. After that, the colors start to shift and base fog starts to build up, even in the slowest of films.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Currently making my way through a 400' roll of Ilford FP4 Motion Picture film dated 2004 and stored in an unheated room. No problems that I'm aware of.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Monochrome film is a different kettle of fish you can use it years past it's expiry date.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The oldest film I've used and got good results from was just over 50 years past date - but that has definitely been the exception. I get consistently good results from 10-15 year old TechPan, but that film is nice and slow. I have never gotten anything usable - interesting, maybe but not consistent - from anything over 2 years old color film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i pretty much only shoot outdated film, both color and black/white.
    i process my own b/w in for about 10years now in ansco 130 dilute 1:6 or 1:10
    @72ºF for about 8 min ..
    i have also been doing the same thing with caffenol 130 ( .. that is caffenol c with a splash of ansco130 )
    and i get very good results. even 15year old expired tmz3200 room stored ( really drawer stored )
    with very little or no base fog.
    expired color ...
    i shot a ton of velvia that was shelf stored
    kodak readyload 160
    and fuji color chrome + cn ... all 4x5
    it was all pro-lab processed and all came back with no issues.

i have attached 3 images ..
    one was color chrome, expired room temp stored for years ...
    the other tmz as previously described.
    the scan is pretty much what the chrome looks like ...
    the b/w is not tweaked, the base is clear ...
    the last one is long expired 320 tri x 5x7 film
    shelf stored. purchased for 1¢/sheet
    processed in straight caffenol ( no 130 )
    and there is very little if any fog

in the right circumstances i might no do a commercial job with expired color film
    ( unfortunately no labs left where i am to process it though )
    and i wouldn't hesitate doing assignments with expired black and white.

the trick is to expect the unexpected
    and roll with it
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-01-2011 at 10:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fresh film results expected, predictable, conformed, and usual images. This is perfect for our annual Christmas family portrait.

I am living in a different world the rest of the year. Unexpected, unpredicted, nonconformity, unusual, is what I am looking for. Outdated film gave me all of that and more: availability of many now discontinued film, adding some historical, cultural sense to my images.

But, many times outdated film disappointed me: they are just look like fresh films.

It is not easy getting weird results from outdated films unless you are sure they are not stored well .
    Last edited by bwfans; 02-01-2011 at 10:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Manufacturers give quite a lot of leeway in expiry dates...which are just the date to which they guarantee the results if the film is stored in accordance with their instructions.

I stock up with new and fresh film (B&W or color) from time-to-time, keep it in the fridge or freezer, and not worry at all if I use it up within 2-3 year after expiry. But I'd be much more cautious in buying out-of-date film unless I really knew the storage history (perhaps being a little skeptical when an Ebay seller says it's been frozen since the day it was made...no offence meant to the many honest Ebayers, of course!). Not worth the risk to try to save a few $, when the real cost is spending time, money and effort in getting to photogenic locations.

Having said that, I have occasionally used really ancient film with some degrees of success, but only by way of interest and experimentation, never for important pictures.

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the comments and pictures. The information is really useful. I like the colour flower picture from jnanian, in particular. Maybe I should consider lomography...

As stated, the main issue when purchasing outdated film off the web is how it has been stored. I guess there will always be an element of uncertainty there....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't shoot a paying gig onto it.. But I've used kodak black and white films from the 40's with very good results.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin