Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,716   Online: 912

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There's demand for expired color films from Holga/Lomography folks. I've bought a lot of old C-41 and E-6 films for my daughter to use creatively in her Holga, all get processed as C-41. There was this really ancient EPR120 (Ektachrome Professional 64) we had that was really wonderful. Other lots of Ektachrome 64 and 100 have been too well cared-for, they're now being aged. There's a brick of Kodacolor II (C120) that's still embarrassingly good, the color balance isn't at all far off, only one dye layer is weak, it must have been frozen since new. Once you fix the color balance in scanning, that Kodacolor II has the classic color palette of that film, from before the "color saturation wars" started.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Thanks for all the comments and pictures. The information is really useful. I like the colour flower picture from jnanian, in particular. Maybe I should consider lomography...

As stated, the main issue when purchasing outdated film off the web is how it has been stored. I guess there will always be an element of uncertainty there....
    thanks jdp

the flower was made with a graflex slr and home made close up adapter ..
    i can't remember what lens i used, but it was either a 21cm tessar or
    a brass rr lens named laverne i bought off of a fellow apugger ...
    nothing too fancy, and nothing plasticy ...
    (i don't use a lomo, and don't really ever use my holga)
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In the past I would pick up outdated and short dated film when I found it cheap.
    I never bought any over 5 years old however. Lots of different types and I am sure most if not all were stored at room temp. I never had an issue with any of them.

Today I ONLY BUY FRESH. That is because if the film makers can't sell film when it is fresh they will stop making it. AND they have stopped making lots of my favorites in the last 2 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I buy expired B&W when I see it really cheap. I don't use it for anything critical though, and always expect the worst. I have a few rolls of Verichrome Pan from the late 1960's that I found in a $1 box at a camera show. I've only shot one roll so far but it came out really well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/4040653692/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/4038189890/

I shot it at 64 ASA and developed it in Daifine.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbuzzclick View Post
    I buy expired B&W when I see it really cheap. I don't use it for anything critical though, and always expect the worst. I have a few rolls of Verichrome Pan from the late 1960's that I found in a $1 box at a camera show. I've only shot one roll so far but it came out really well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/4040653692/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/4038189890/

I shot it at 64 ASA and developed it in Daifine.
    Very cool! Why did you choose Diafine?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Hi all,
    I would be interested to learn of peoples experiences using outdated film. More specifically, what is the most-outdated film you have used and still achieved good quality results.

I ask because I am still intersted in using some discontinued films (particularly kodak e200), but the only stock I can find is a few years out of date, and given the high prices asked (amazing!), am in some indecision if it will be worth it. I am not interesed in the 'lomography' of old film and need decent quality.

Any views gratefully received.
    Kodacolor VR, expired April 1989 (it's older than me!) The negatives look good, but I never ordered prints...

Currently exposing Kodacolor II, expired 10/76. We'll see how it looks once I finish it off and develop in December.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have bad experience with outdated film. The higher the ISO the faster it degrades. Photos will look grainy and colours will usually be a bit mute.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I pretty much shoot exclusively all expired films for my own work. But use all fresh or short dated stuff for teaching. I have shot BW films that are atleast 30+ years old with excellent results. Films stored well dont change much at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It mostly depends on storage. If film is frozen, it lasts at least 12 years past expiration IME. And it is usable with some color correction past that. (I've used frozen color neg film nearly 18 years past date and got correctable color, because it was well stored by the commercial photographer who gave it to me.) Faster films fog more quickly, though. If not frozen, they go off in a year or two (though usually still usable for a few more years). This is not scientific analysis, just based on my own experience with shooting lots of expired color film. (I usually don't bother shooting expired B/W film.)

Aside from storage, the other important thing is buying it in emulsion-matching batches. That way even though imperfect, it at least all acts the same. A few loose rolls of expired film are not of much use to me in a "real" camera. But they are good for toy cameras and such.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-07-2011 at 04:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your goal is to take good photos then avoid any outdated film. Unless you have proof that it was kept refrigerated or even better frozen. People will say anything on ebay. Still this only works against fog caused by heat. There are also cosmic rays and natural backgraound radiation to consider. Evenyually these will take their toll even for frozen film.

Agfa would typically run off a large batch of film and keep the master rolls frozen at -10 C. To be later cut and packaged.

If your intent is playing around and not serious photography then nothing is really lost except a bit of money and your time.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin