Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,566   Online: 788

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most BW films will be fine when it's stored properly. Transparency film older than 3 years stored in the fridge will lose some speed and shift magenta. Old Polaroid film can be problematic because the chemical goo can dry out causing streaks. Overall, BW film should be fine decades after expiration date when stored properly.

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought two packs of ready load ektachrome 100 EPN (expiry date april 2009). Do you guys think they are still good ?

The seller says that they were kept refrigerated and boxes are unopened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They'll be great, even if not refrigerated I suspect.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    When I stock up by buying fresh film and freezing it immediately, I never worry if it's a couple of years or so past its expiry by the time I use it. But I agree with other posters that it's foolish to try to save a few $ by using unknown expired film for anything important, given the cost of equipment, travel, time, processing, model fees, etc., in taking the shots.

OTOH, and as a separate exercise, I like to experiment occasionally with obsolete films, and, in general, I've been pleasantly surprised how long films can last...clearly manufacturers do allow a good safety margin in the expiry dates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, if you're getting paid for something, definitely buy fresh film. But even an important family vacation or the like, I usually trust my expired film. I've shot unrefrigerated color negative (Fuji Reala 100) film that expired in 1999 and it honestly came out great, with a slight reduction in speed (shot it at 64).
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Very cool! Why did you choose Diafine?
    Sorry for the slooowwwww reply. Since I didn't have any times for Verichrome Pan when I shot this, I figured that with Diafine I wouldn't have to worry about the time for development, plus it would give me a bump in speed to help compensate for the age of the film. I should correct my previous comment by saying that I shot these at ASA 125, not 64. Would I use Diafine again, I would shoot it at 64.

Here's a few more from a roll of Verichrome Pan 127 that expired in 1973. I shot it at around ASA 25-32 and developed in HC-110.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/5669509495/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/5670080168/

I also just finished a box of 4x5 FP4 (not FP4+) that was given to me. Most frames turned out pretty well shot at 64, but I have had some issues with the emulsion peeling off, funny rubber-like hairs on the film, or scratching very easily.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/5916773863/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/5750914785/

And lastly, if anyone is still interested, here's the best shot I got from some old Plus-X (don't know the age) that came in some 4x5 film holders I purchased. I had to expose this at ASA 12 before I could get anything from it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/5664924426/

Reid
    Last edited by rjbuzzclick; 08-08-2011 at 04:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just received the results from a photo shoot i did with my large format camera (4x5 inch) with an expired ektachrome 100 S (Expiry date 09/2003 which was stored at room temperature simce 2003) and i am quite pleased with the result :

more details on my blog :
    4×5 inch and 35 mm and film shoot

Shooter
    35mm
    not bad for an expired film ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you shoot that unfiltered in the shade?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Did you shoot that unfiltered in the shade?
    there was no shade and there was no filter either.The photo was shot in my flat. The set up was as follows :

i set up a mini cyclo on a small table with a black background close to a window. i put the pebbles on the table. I put the bottle on one pebble. Then i set up a silver reflector at the opposite side of the window. so basically, window light on the right and silver reflector on the left.

I had to move some furniture in order to organize the set up.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin