Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,892   Online: 803

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Input on E6

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the Arista 3-step kit in the U.S. which I believe is similar to the Tetenal. To process at 105F (40.5C) just get a bucket or (better yet) insulated cooler small enough to fit in your sink. I typically start by filling the cooler with water about 120F, fill the sink with water surrounding the cooler to the same temp, and submerge the bottles of E6 chemistry in the cooler. Let the temp gradually cool down to 105F to begin processing. I usually lower the water level in the cooler at this point so that the tank can be placed in the cooler between agitation. If the temp reaches 104, add a little hot water to bring it back up. One other bit of advice: do not try to process at room temps as the chart on the Arista instructions indicates you can. I have never gotten good results that way. It might work if you only use fresh chemistry every time and discard--but that is not very economical. Last night I processed my 12th roll at 105F in a 1-pint kit mixed up a month ago and the results were every bit as good as the first roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are there no labs or suppliers in India? I know India and Pakistan are not the best of friends, but they
    are the closest of enemies. Alternately, you might try the German diplomats-one of them might put your film in a pouch, or bring in a tetenal kit with their computer supplies. I'll ask a Sikh friend what
    he would do. Good luck, anyway David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Nexus757", thank you very much for these advises, they are very helpful. I might order the Arista kit from Freestyle, or alternatively the Tetenal from Germany. One point which worries me: I remember that in another thread concerns werre raised about the permanence of films processed in a 3-bath process. There was the advice of giving the film an additional bath in formalin. Do you know anything about this?
    "Boswald", there might be, but I suspect that in India as well as in Pakistan nearly everything is digital now, and the residues which are there might not offer acceptable quality. Further, India is a huge country, and one has to find the right place, which is the real challenge. And even if I do, the fact that India and Pakistan are not exactly friendly neighbors is likely to make things difficult to a point that makes it much easier to get something from the USA or Europe. I go once or twice a year to Germany, and many of my colleagues here travel regularly to the US. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Shooter
    35mm
    Lukas -- the relationship between Pakistan and India has improved to a certain extent to what it used to be ;o). Coming to your point, there are labs in India [Delhi and in Ahmedabad, Gujrat] and also in Kolkata who do E6 processing for Euro 3 - 5 / roll. I can PM you their contact details and you can have a chat - all of them do mail order but better to check out from the India Pakistan and foreign currency angle. Since banks will take a cut [0.5% of the amount], they may be interested in a bit larger volumes.
    Cheers
    Deb

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the Arista kit from Freestyle, and find it works very well if used fresh, then not quite so good after that.

To control temperature, I use a plastic storage bin (the kind of thing you might put old clothes or toys into the attic in) with about 10cm of water at the bottom, and a fish tank heater. The heater is controlled from a digital controller sold for use in terrariums and electroplating baths- the pair cost me just under $100.

This setup is nice because after I'm done developing, I empty the water out, wash up my containers, drum, etc., in the sink, and then put the spirals and stuff inside the plastic storage bin with the lid loosely fitted. They dry nicely without getting dusty. :-)

Here is a roll of velvia I developed in the Arista kit a few weeks ago. Sadly my scanner isn't really good enough to reproduce the depth of this film!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I developed E-6 for years using a deep tray, and 1/2 gallon bottles of chemistry, and just a regular mixer faucet to regulate the temperature of the water. I used a stainless steel film tank submersed almost all the way into the water jacket, as well as I kept the jugs of chemistry in the deep tray of water. No sweat, you need a very accurate thermometer. You just need precise temperature control in the first 3 steps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin