Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,095   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

1960s Ferrania Dia 28 Transparancy Film

Hello,

I'm wondering if someone here remembers anything about this film?

"Ferrania Dia 28" ASA 50 1967 expiration date.

I recently got hold of some as part of an expired film deal on eBay. I've recently had some success in processing freshly exposed 1960s Ektachrome (E-2 process) in cold C-41 chemicals to get an acceptable image (well very magenta and grainy, but interesting!)

I'm hoping to try the same with this, but i'm unsure as to whether it is a 'normal' transparancy process like E-2/E-3/E-4/Agfachrome, or a non-substantive process like Kodachrome.

If it's the latter I'll put it through HC-110 to get B&W, but if not, I'll try and eke some sort of colour out of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think that Ferrania ever produced a film related to Kodachrome technology. In a separate thread PE said that slide film produced by Ferrania were based on Agfa technology. Ferrania still exists, so if you ask them they might tell you which kind of treatment it will require and possibly give you some hint for processing.

http://www.ferraniait.com

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I don't think that Ferrania ever produced a film related to Kodachrome technology. In a separate thread PE said that slide film produced by Ferrania were based on Agfa technology. Ferrania still exists, so if you ask them they might tell you which kind of treatment it will require and possibly give you some hint for processing.

http://www.ferraniait.com

Fabrizio
    I have sent an email to their tech support to find an answer. Hopefully, it won't take too long to get one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks both, I tried their general email a few months back, but did not get a response. Thats good news if you think it's related to Agfa, if the colour couplers are in the film, I might be able to get something out with C-41

Shooter
    35mm
    This won't help you, but my Dad was a great Ferraniacolor fan in the fifties, and I have about a hundred 6 x 6 cm transparencies (family photos). Some have faded, but some retain remarkable colour saturation. There is nothing in the selvage to say what sort of film it was, only Ferraniacolor on the envelopes. Unfortunately he is not around to tell us whether he sent the film away for processing or got it done locally. He probably bought at least some of the film in Italy as we holidayed there several times.
    Richard

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecnichols View Post
    I have sent an email to their tech support to find an answer. Hopefully, it won't take too long to get one.
    Has anyone ever got a response from Ferrania? I know I never have.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Has anyone ever got a response from Ferrania? I know I never have.
    I haven't. I don't expect one. The "US" tech phone number doesn't work, so I'm guessing, the information on the site might be old info. Who knows.

Shooter
    35mm
    My late Father used the original Ferraniacolor (25ASA)...it was the first film easily processable at home (kits were made by Johnsons of Hendon, one of the major suppliers of B&W chemicals for the UK. I'm sure it was based on the Agfacolor system of that time. The Dia 28 was a later introduction (I think 50ASA), and, IIRC, sold in the UK with processing included when you mailed in back to the manufacturer's UK lab. Again, I'd think it was just an improved version using the same Agfacolor system.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Right, well I think i'm finally ready to give this a go. I'm going to shoot it at around 8ASA to compensate for age (expired 1967)

I've found an interesting article from Kodak that states you can save colour negs and slides that have been mistakenly developed in B&W chems and still get colour images.

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/2...e31/ae31.shtml

The process I'm going to try and follow is:

1. Develop in XTOL or HC-110 (probably for around 6-7mins which is my standard for unknown expired B&W film) - 20degC

2. Water stop bath

3. Fix for 5 mins in standard Kodak Fixer with hardener

4. Rinse as normal

I'll then check whether I have any silver image at all.
    If so, I'll try this (from the Kodak article)

5. In daylight - Blix from standard Tetenal 2-bath colour kit - 20degC 5 mins

6. In daylight - Wash

7. Expose to bright light for 15 secs each side

8. Process in Tetenal C-41 kit at 20degC for 16mins.

9. Wash as normal.

I'm a bit unsure as to what steps 5 to 8 will acheive, in particular, does anyone know why I would run the colour bleach stage first and in daylight?

Also I do not have separate bleach, only blix, does this matter? - I assume as the film has already been through the normal B&W fix stage, this shouldn't affect it?

I assume that step 8, means just the colour developer bit of the kit, not running the blix again?

Thanks for any advice! I'm not looking for stunning images, just interested in experimenting with 40 year old colour slide film and getting any colour at all!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

1960s Ferrania Dia 28 Transparancy Film

Quote Originally Posted by bestbefore1978 View Post
    Right, well I think i'm finally ready to give this a go. I'm going to shoot it at around 8ASA to compensate for age (expired 1967)

I've found an interesting article from Kodak that states you can save colour negs and slides that have been mistakenly developed in B&W chems and still get colour images.

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/2...e31/ae31.shtml

The process I'm going to try and follow is:

1. Develop in XTOL or HC-110 (probably for around 6-7mins which is my standard for unknown expired B&W film) - 20degC

2. Water stop bath

3. Fix for 5 mins in standard Kodak Fixer with hardener

4. Rinse as normal

I'll then check whether I have any silver image at all.
    If so, I'll try this (from the Kodak article)

5. In daylight - Blix from standard Tetenal 2-bath colour kit - 20degC 5 mins

6. In daylight - Wash

7. Expose to bright light for 15 secs each side

8. Process in Tetenal C-41 kit at 20degC for 16mins.

9. Wash as normal.

I'm a bit unsure as to what steps 5 to 8 will acheive, in particular, does anyone know why I would run the colour bleach stage first and in daylight?

Also I do not have separate bleach, only blix, does this matter? - I assume as the film has already been through the normal B&W fix stage, this shouldn't affect it?

I assume that step 8, means just the colour developer bit of the kit, not running the blix again?

Thanks for any advice! I'm not looking for stunning images, just interested in experimenting with 40 year old colour slide film and getting any colour at all!
    That link doesn't seem to work, is this the full instruction list? Was it in PDF? Did you save it? Can you send the PDF to me if you do have it?

Thanks

~Stone

The Important Ones - Canon: AE-1, 1V | Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Mamiya: RZ67 Pro II, 7 II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin