Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,185   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Portra Experience on Nikon One Touch

One of my APUG friends sent me a Nikon One Touch Non Zoom Camera.
    I tried it with Portra 400 and negatives were nearly transparent and 4 may be more stop darker.
    Lab man said to me that your film is tungsten and point shoot cameras dont identify dx code of tungsten films.
    I know one thing about the film , it stayed in a heated room for 1 year.

What is the problem , sensor of camera , dx sensor of camera or the film.

Lab scanned the film and lighten the raw file and everything was super but I want normal negatives.

Thank you ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The DX code read by cameras will only tell a P&S camera what EI to use for its meter and how many exposures the cartridge has. The DX bar code is for film processing machines, and is not read by cameras.

In any case, what your lab told you makes zero sense whatsoever. It is ignorance, a lie, or both at once. Why would a film's color balance affect exposure?

It is possible that the film is old and heat damaged. The camera could also have a problem. I would check the DX code contacts for oxidation or corrosion, first of all, to get that possibility out of the way. Then I would try another roll of film, and develop it yourself, so you can rule out the lab. If there are still exposure problems, the problem is probably your light meter, and probably not worth paying to fix on a point and shoot.

Good luck.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And Portra 400 is not a "tungsten" balanced film.
    So that line they gave you is nonsense just because of that alone.

Making up such a line is probably an indication of guilt, a cover up.
    So perhaps the lab screwed up. Or at least they were hedging, knowing their own work, and so not ruling out that they did.

If the DX-'contacts' failed, the camera probably would revert to ISO 100, which would lead to overexposed negatives. Not thin negatives.
    So there's perhaps another indication that the lab knew that it would be quite possible that they did something not the way they should have.

P.S.
    I checked that, and the ISO value the camera defaults to is indeed ISO 100.
    So saying the DX-code is to blame really is a bad smelling load of bovine excrement.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 02-04-2011 at 06:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I bringed him Leica negatives and he told me Leica protects its lenses under soil for 40 years ! What a .... idiot !
    Thank you for your suggestion.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you 2F/2F and Q.G.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Nikon One Touch L35 AF and it has no DX coding http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...5AFcompact.jpg you set the film speed on the lens.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Benjiboy ,

My camera is little bit different , there is a open/close door in front of lens and nothing else. May be it is older or newer but not better. And it has dx sensor inside.

Umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 02-04-2011 at 07:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Umut,

You must have the L35AF-2. It does use DX coding from ISO 25-3200 in full stop increments. I have used one of these cameras for many years, and it has always worked well for me. It could be either the film or the lab. I would try with a fresh roll of film just to see whether it it is the lab.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Nickrapak ,

Thank you. I will give a chance to camera. Now its winter and stores are heated like a hell. And there is no fridge at the stores for films. Its becoming more difficult to find my loved kodak films fresh but the Fuji films.
    In my opinion , at this premature situation , Portra accepts photoshop tricks very well. I dont know why but there can be a reason on this cameras Sonnar generic also.
    I have a Rollei 35 S with all mulfunctions a camera can have but I force it to take pictures. Half of the film comes burned , film cant be removed at daylight etc etc.
    My last hopeless hope is this Nikon.
    I hope camera or lab or film works this time.

Umut
    I have two sonnars and two cameras are making me sad , not pictures but the mechanic failures

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Benjiboy ,

My camera is little bit different , there is a open/close door in front of lens and nothing else. May be it is older or newer but not better. And it has dx sensor inside.

Umut
    My One Touch is the first model that is in fact older that I prefer because you can up and down rate films with it Mustafa, but at the time I bought it it was the current model the version with DX coding wasn't yet out then.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin