Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,641   Online: 1021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Is there a chemical way to increase contrast in RA4 printing?

Hello all,

I've been reading around and only found something about peroxide, which I know it is not what I'm looking for.

Can I add alkali? Change temperature and time? Any ideas?

Regards,
    Gui

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Increasing pH by adding hydroxide should work to some level. Increasing time or temperature works, but maybe not that much.

I've needed a little bit more contrast in some occasions, and increasing dev time from 2 minutes to 3 minutes gave me that. Probably adding more time would start adding fog thus decreasing contrast. You might want to reduce exposure a little bit at the same time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unsharp B&W mask, reversal processed, is how I have gone about it when I was really desperate, because it is a lot of work. I have cut contrast by adding citrazinic acid to the developer. I have never tried going the othere way to add contrast chemically.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can add Hydrogen Peroxide or Cobalt Hexammine Chloride to your colour dev, but it will have a very limited lifespan once mixed.

You can bleach bypass (substitute a colour fix for the blix) but you will lose saturation.

Or, you can bleach bypass, wash, rehalogenate with a ferricyanide/bromide bleach and then run through the process again, blixing when satisfied with the result.

All of these have been discussed before: I suggest the search function if you want details because I haven't tried any of them and don't remember quantities etc off the top of my head...

Happy experimenting and please do report back on your results.
    Last edited by David Grenet; 02-07-2011 at 08:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hydroxide will increase D Min -
    Last edited by JS MD; 02-07-2011 at 09:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thank you all for your inputs!
    I guess since peroxide and roller transport don't go together very well, I might have to give up roller transport and go back to rotary tube in order to try the peroxide thing.

Best regards,
    Gui

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coisasdavida View Post
    Thank you all for your inputs!
    I guess since peroxide and roller transport don't go together very well, I might have to give up roller transport and go back to rotary tube in order to try the peroxide thing.

Best regards,
    Gui
    I use trays for ALL my Ra4 and it works great.

I guess oxidation could be an issue with peroxide but no more than rotary I would think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I had a crazy idea for contrast control with roller transport. What about if you were to presoak the print in an accelerator (KOH or peroxide) and then run it through the processor? I've done it with SLIMT technique to reduce contrast, but I wonder if it would work in the other direction? Any experiences there?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    @brucemuir My idea of using rotary was to loose as little chemistry as I could with the peroxide. My guess is that I can process an 8x10" with 100ml in a rotary tube, but I'd need at least 350ml on a tray to get it covered. This is based on my readings that tell me that the peroxide will ruin the chemistry after a few minutes.

@anikin Wouldn't that contaminate the 3 gallons of chemistry inside my Colex?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    70 ml works just fine for an 8x10 in a Beseler print drum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin