Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,327   Online: 925

Shooter
    35mm RF

anyone using colour roll paper?

Now that endura is no longer in sheets, and rumour has It that fuji is next I'm wondering if anyone is using colour (ra-4) roll paper-- if you how do you manage it?

Ps I asked this under darkroom equipment in a slightly different way but there weren't any bites in that forum (sorry for the duplication)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roll paper was about the only thing we had here for RA4. When I used to do colour printing in the darkroom, I bought 12.7 cm and 20.3 cm wide rolls. I cut the papers in the darkroom for 5X7 and and 8X10 sheets, using a DIY paper roll holder, and a guillotine type cutter. Yes, there is risk in getting fingers cut, but if you're careful, this won't happen ....I did this for years, and still intact. The cutter has a guide stop, where the paper edge can be located, and then the blade goes down to cut the sheet.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been using "short ends" of roll paper since the '80s, and still get it free from minilabs on occasion. It has been cheaper than 8x10 cut sheet paper lately. I set up the paper cutter with a cardboard strip glued the length of the 10" mark. The roll of paper is on a simple stand like a TP roll. Even in to total darkness it is easy to pull the paper from the roll and butt it against the marker and cut a 10" peice. I can fill a 100 sheet box quickly enough to make it worth the price difference.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was using rolls. When I first started colour I got some Kodak Edge rolls really cheap and I practised printing on those. As soon as I was confident I moved onto Endura sheets and when my stocks run out in a few months I'll start buying Fuji which is being cut down by a 3rd party here in the UK. As to the question, how did I cope: I didn't! It was awful. My darkroom is tiny, tiny, and I had less than an inch to manoeuvre whenever I needed to cut down some stocks. The roll is heavy, I used to place it over my arm, pull out an arm's length and then feed it into a guillotine wedged up against the wall. I struggled to cut the paper straight and normally ended up with paper shaped like a rhombus. If rolls are the only option in the future, I'd hire a large darkroom and cut down the lot in one session.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep your eye out for a vaccuum easel if you like to print without borders. The curl near the inside of the roll is a bitch to flatten, and never comes out of some paper stocks.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We are currently using Fuji CA type 2 on a 10" roll. It's dirt cheap - $94 for around 800 8x10 sheets (once you cut it). I took an old empty box and ran a dowel rod through it. I thread the roll onto it in the dark.

Then, I just pull on the paper and feed it into a guillotine cutter. Took about 5 minutes to cut 30 of them, and that included setup and tear down time.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for the equipment used by businesses that do gift wrapping - they use roll holders that would work for holding the roll.

For rolls that are 12 inch or shorter, you could probably use one of these for that purpose:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60105853
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin