Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,734   Online: 1129

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

I need help with C41 processing at home!!

I have been processing C41 film at home using the Photographer's Formulary Kodak Flexicolor kit. Occasionally, my negatives show vertical pink bands on an edge of the film when scanned. In the example below the condition can be seen on the left vertical edge of the image and is most easily seen against the blue sky.

Does anyone know what is causing this to occur? Thanks for your help!

The Hospital by Thomas N. Abbott, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What sort of tank and reel are you using? How much solution? What agitation time and method?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    What sort of tank and reel are you using? How much solution? What agitation time and method?
    Paterson tank and reels (the tank holds 2 120 reels). I use 1L of solution per the guide on the base of the tank. I agitate according to the guidelines set out for small tank processing on page 2 of Kodak publication CIS-211 (i.e., 30 sec initial; 2-5 second subsequent every 15 seconds).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Maybe 1-liter isn't quite enough?

Try filling the tank from the faucet with empty reels and no cap until the reels are well covered. Pour that water into a graduated container and see how much you get.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Maybe 1-liter isn't quite enough?

Try filling the tank from the faucet with empty reels and no cap until the reels are well covered. Pour that water into a graduated container and see how much you get.
    Thanks. Even before seeing this problem, I've tried that out of curiosity to see whether the amounts stamped on the base were accurate; they are, as 1L of fluid entirely covers two 120 reels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1L should be sufficient, I use that in my Paterson 3 (holds two 120) tank with a pair of 120 rolls.

Is there a scratch on the negative there or is it just in the color? Could be a scratch in the red layer? I don't know.

Did both rolls do this or just one?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    if the streaks are visible outside the picture area and align with the areas between the sprocket holes its probably weak/contaminated fix or short fixing time or some combination. Try extending the fix time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all for the responses!

Harry: I cannot remember if it occurred on both rolls. I use the Paterson 3 as well and I am pretty sure I processed two 120 rolls when this occurred, but I noticed it with this one shot because of the blue sky.

Nyoung: I will try extending the fix time. If I may ask, what are the risks of running the bleach or fix a little longer (e.g., instead of 6:30, 6:45)?

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    No problem for extending the bleach and fix time.
    Are you sure the problem is with the negatives and not with the scanner?
    You can try to scan upside down and confirm.
    I remember to read about a problematic scanner doing like this.
    Regards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnabbott View Post
    Thanks all for the responses!

Harry: I cannot remember if it occurred on both rolls. I use the Paterson 3 as well and I am pretty sure I processed two 120 rolls when this occurred, but I noticed it with this one shot because of the blue sky.

Nyoung: I will try extending the fix time. If I may ask, what are the risks of running the bleach or fix a little longer (e.g., instead of 6:30, 6:45)?

Thanks!
    Developer time is critical because it doesn't normally go to completion, more time gets you more development and vice-versa.

The rest of the steps do normally to go to completion in the specified time so extra time doesn't hurt.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin