Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,728   Online: 830

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Citizens photo in Portland, Oregon
    C-41 Processing

Film 24 hr.
    35 $2.75 5
    120 $2.75 3
    220 $4.15 3
    4x5 $2.15 8
    5x7 $3.00 4
    8x10 $4.50 2

Dip and dunk machine process.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    35mm
    I got royally sick and tired of all the crappy printing, negative handling, and other problems from the local King Soopers (big grocery chain), and the send-out service of the Safeway (another big grocery chain) took almost 3 weeks for basic color prints... I got really REALLY fed up with it.

Found Shutter Priority not long ago. Bit pricier, but good and comforting to know they're a real processing lab (not some 1-hour deal, not some send-away deal) that knows what they're doing.

Did a couple 36ex test rolls with them. Index sheet comes standard, 36 prints (1 each, glossy 3.5x5) runs about $18 and change.

Compare to a 24ex roll of singles running upwards of $10 at the 1-hour processing places (i.e. Walmart, King Soopers) it's more expensive -- but at least there won't be processing errors on the film where it touched other film, ruined negatives, bad prints, prints sticking together, etc....

I'm paying more but I'm at the point I WILL pay more to avoid the headaches I've had with lower priced places that have no clue.

Hell, I used to run a 1-hour photo machine at one Walmart years back... If they let ME do it, any old sucker can do it! I would rather somebody more experience than me process my pictures
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    $12/roll for developing, tiny index print, and 4000x6000 scans off of 35mm from Precision Camera. Scanning sizes for medium format are different, but still large.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    C-41, 10-20 cents a roll I think..

E-6 would be about 50 cents a roll iirc, just need to either make or buy some more first dev.

Shooter
    35mm
    But it's not that. It's the price of having another room. It's the price of having temp-controlled baths running, the price of buying all that equipment.

Developing your own takes a little bit of initial capital. Maybe the upkeep is low, but you need to invest time, money, space, and effort.

I would much rather pay a few bucks a roll to NOT have to do that at this point in my life. Don't get me wrong I'm not against it -- I just can't handle that much of a commitment at this point in my life.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a change bag, space is not much of an issue. I do have a garage which I found an old running fridge in when I moved in here house mates didn't know were on, so I cleaned up garage (far more space now) and dedicated the fridge to film (since it had stuff expired in it longer than either of the other house mates been living here and had been running all that time, no real change to bills, just a nice discovery). Temp-controlled bath isn't expensive, I use plastic-tank, which is a brilliant insulator, I warm it with water. Heat my chems on a gas kitchen stove top, I dont have temp drift over such a short dev time with plastic.

Either way, I prefer quality, I'd rather not have my negs come back crappily thin with scratches and roller marks on them, a lot of labs here I've tried come back with poor negs, musn't replenish well, or much at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    35 mm C 41 Film Process $ 1.95 . Outstanding quality /

Shooter
    Multi Format
    35mm C-41 Develop and print at Walmart 24exp. $6.99. They actually did a good job on mine !! No scratches or dust!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster View Post
    But it's not that. It's the ... Don't get me wrong I'm not against it -- I just can't handle that much of a commitment at this point in my life.
    It's always a problem when one has a problem with commitment on Valentines Day .

Actually, I agree with you Markster. Having access to a good lab that charges a reasonable amount for high quality results is a real advantage.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    For me the value of spending a little more for a good lab was a real advantage when I started colour printing. I found consistency was so much better than with my local minilab. At the pro lab every negative I get back prints on the same filter pack (with a small tweak sometimes) but with the local minilab I'd have to hunt for a starting filter pack every time (wild variation of more than 15cc). spending more for good developing saves me money on paper and also the hassle of chasing the correct colour balance.
    Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin