Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,912   Online: 927

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Consistency question: Kodak vs. Fuji color neg film

It appears from my internet readings that Kodak color negative film will give better consistency than Fuji films. (If there are contrary opinions, I'd like to hear them!) Is this a function of the films, the labs, or a combination of both?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet Tony I've used both company's professional colour negative films for over twenty five years, and had them processed at the same lab and I have not noticed any consistency problems with either, the only inconsistency has been with me getting the exposure wrong.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where had you hear something like that? This is probably just one urban myth again.

Both of them should be very consistent, beyond most expectations.

Bad processing can of course ruin the consistency, but it will do it regardless of whether it's Kodak or Fuji.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would have to agree that both are quite consistent. Both are built to an exacting ANSI speed and curve shape requirement which was laid down in the 40s and 50s by Kodak, Fuji, Konica and Agfa. It continues to this day, mostly from Kodak and Fuji.

The only discontinuity was in the 70s when Fuji, Agfa and Konica changed from proprietary processes and unmasked films to C41 and E6. Even so, I have some old Agfa and Konica color negatives that still print just fine!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not agree that any one of the two is more or less consistent than the other. Whatever slight inconsistencies there are with fresh film can be easily compensated for with your filter pack, with Kodak or Fuji. With film of different ages, you might have to compensate just a bit more. If the film is always kept frozen or refrigerated from the time it is purchased until the time it is shot and processed, then the effects of age will be less.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Is this a function of the films, the labs, or a combination of both?
    Normally neither.

It is most likely a function of the user blaming it on someone/something else.
    Last edited by markbarendt; 02-14-2011 at 07:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: bad verbage first try
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OFF TOPIC - SIDE TOPIC

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The only discontinuity was in the 70s when Fuji, Agfa and Konica changed from proprietary processes and unmasked films to C41 and E6. Even so, I have some old Agfa and Konica color negatives that still print just fine!

PE
    Never could grasp that masking concept!
    and now, I confused.

Did you just say unmasked color negatives print just fine?

Is there a with/without comparison somewhere ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They print just fine. The color is not equivalent.

I have not made direct comparisons, but I know they exist for patent purposes.

I am sorry that you do not understand one of the fundamental tenets of color photography.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have not made direct comparisons, but I know they exist for patent purposes.

I am sorry that you do not understand one of the fundamental tenets of color photography.

PE

Euuu... thats cold!

Ok,
    Why is such an important tenet not more well demonstrated? !!

I am equally sorry that for one so inudated in the science and thoery of it,
    you have never chanced to make a direct comparison!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    Why is such an important tenet not more well demonstrated? !!
    The role and benefits of the mask is very well documented and explained. I don't know if avaible on the internet (I think no) but books still exist. I don't know if german literature is of any help for you, I can recommend Stapf and Teicher, the first one was translated to various languages, maybe english too. I am shure any basic book about color photography from the 50s, 60s or 70s will explain the color mask in full detail.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin