Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,799   Online: 780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

E-6 and C-41 Chemistry Options in US

Okay, I'm looking to start developing E-6 and C-41 at home. While I'm temped to try Wal-Mart, the processing turn around time of 2+ weeks is a bit much for me.

So what chemistry options, other than from FreeStylePhoto.biz do I have in the US? I'm willing to purchase from the EU or UK (is that redundant??) Anyways, what are people doing here in the US? I would prefer something fresh with a long shelf life (wouldn't we all?)

Thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can find an actual camera shop, i.e not walmart and the like, that still has a developing machine, they generally do a very nice job and C-41 is cheap. I can get develop-only rolls done for just a few bucks. Luckily, my place us just up the road.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Home processing colour film is extremely satisfying.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The closest lab that does E-6 and C-41 is an hour and a half away, and they will stop processing this summer, so it's not really an option. I can send out through Rite Aid or Wal-Mart, but it's a 2 week turn around time and I have no control over the process - and I'm stuck with Fuji's Lab in SC which can't seem to follow special processing instructions on the envelope. If I mail away the film, it's 2 weeks plus the cost of postage. I use E-Six in GA for some stuff, but rarely. Plus what's the use of having a Jobo, if you can't use it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kodak's E-6 & C-41 chemistry is still available in the U.S., although not in quantities that are convenient for home users. Photographer's Formulary has split up the Kodak C-41 into smaller kits that they sell, and Freestyle is importing the Rollei / Compard C-41 kits (which are just Fuji C-41 kits repackaged / split up).

I checked into getting one of the 6 bath Fuji E-6 kits from ag-photographic.co.uk, and it is hella expensive to bring into the U.S. - around $225 shipped for a 5L kit. Even so, that probably works out to about $8 - $10 / roll if you do one shot, less if you stretch out the mixed chemistry. It doesn't look like Maco stocks the Fuji 6 bath E-6 kit, otherwise I'd just order from them (their shipping rates are a bit cheaper).

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Try getting a hold of a mini lab supplier in your area first, then search one out
    nationally.Their are a few photo labs out their that will ship chemicals allso,
    Photoland in WI. did at one time.. Go to the the people that use them and ask them to direct you..
    Hopefully you can find one in your area so you can pick them up, so you dont have shipping charges. For E6 ,recently a 10 L list was made on APUG ,copy it and send it to a supplier.
    Personally i think APUG should try and get a photo lab supplier as a sponsor. It would help keep film alive, for what good is film if you cant get it processed.
    Last, dont count on any major photo store except maybe Freestyle, they all have gone digital. Try a thread search for oher comments about chemical supplies..
    Good luck, John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Tetenal Press Kit for home use. I have the 1L kit but 2L is also available. They're powder so are airmail and even carry on safe. Freestyle and B&H have them, maybe Adorama too. I'm 18 or 19 rolls into my 1L kit, still going strong.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Home processing colour film is extremely satisfying.
    Yeah, but trying to buy the chemicals isn't. I wonder why it's so difficult for the companies to keep the production levels up?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect it is actually the opposite problem, low demand overall though it sounds like it must have picked up on the small scale recently with B&H out of stock. Home use is small compared to labs who run a fraction of what they used to due to digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Yeah, but trying to buy the chemicals isn't. I wonder why it's so difficult for the companies to keep the production levels up?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin