Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,450   Online: 1167

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

What E-6 slide film is somewhat close to Kodachrome?

What E-6 reversal / slide film is available today that comes closest to the fine grain and rich saturation of the Kodachrome emulsions?
    What do you suggest please.
    Sam H.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    AFAIK, in the USA there are currently NO E-6 films marketed at the present time. I would love to be wrong. There may be some product in 35mm and roll film still in the pipelines, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am somewhat confused by your reply as I can walk up to my camera shop and pick up several different E-6 (slide films) and B&H has many choices - in 35/120 formats and sheet film. The processing is generally send out or mail off but processors are quite easy to find - though not terribly cheap unfortunately.
    n

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nhemann View Post
    I am somewhat confused by your reply as I can walk up to my camera shop and pick up several different E-6 (slide films) and B&H has many choices - in 35/120 formats and sheet film. The processing is generally send out or mail off but processors are quite easy to find - though not terribly cheap unfortunately.
    n
    Maybe I am over-reacting, ,but Kodak does not NOW show any available to purchase E-6 films on their web site-yes you can see product data for a couple of films, but just try clicking thru to the buy option, and Fuji USA told me their E-6 films were discontinued. Now I know there can be errors in information..but the fact that you can still "get" certain films at large stores just means there is still film in the pipeline. Like I said, I would love to be proven wrong, particularly in 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Maybe I am over-reacting, ,but Kodak does not NOW show any available to purchase E-6 films on their web site-yes you can see product data for a couple of films, but just try clicking thru to the buy option, and Fuji USA told me their E-6 films were discontinued. Now I know there can be errors in information..but the fact that you can still "get" certain films at large stores just means there is still film in the pipeline. Like I said, I would love to be proven wrong, particularly in 4x5.
    The "Kodak Store" that one links to from the Kodak website is "DR globalTech, a Digital River Company", which I understand to be an independent business that contracts with Kodak to supply internet sales services from Kodak's website.

There has never been anything more than a small subset of Kodak's products there.

I would be willing to wager that they probably had very little E6 product there before, and since the 200 ISO emulsions have been discontinued, probably won't in the future.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    E-6 film is widely available in both 120 and 220 format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AFAIK, in the USA there are currently NO E-6 films marketed at the present time. I would love to be wrong. There may be some product in 35mm and roll film still in the pipelines, though.
    AFAIK? Man, you don't know very far!
    Astia is apparently discontinued in 135, but available in larger sizes, including 220. Provia, and Velvia are available in 135 and larger. Provia 400 is available in 135 and 120, IDK about other sizes. Ditto with Kodak E100G and VS (though GX and E 200 are gone), and Elitechrome 100 (200 is gone).
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rich saturation/fine grain ...

E100VS from Kodak is good, as is Velvia 50 from Fujifilm. I'm not sure how similar they are. Kodakchrome had a very unique look.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does it need to be chrome/reversal or would a saturated, contrasty color negative film do?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Since you'd love to be wrong... I'm happy to tell you, YOU'RE COMPLETELY WRONG!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin