Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,098   Online: 1101

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak E-6: 5L Kit vs. Bulk Chemicals

Hi,

I've been developing E-6 for the past year using Jobo processors and Kodak's 5L kit. I've gotten comfortable with the process after having developed a good 50-60 rolls. And then Kodak had to discontinue the kit

Out of extreme good fortune, I inherited tons of Kodak E-6 chemicals from a lab that is going fully digital. So I've got gallons' worth of all the chemicals. What I'm not quite sure about is how they are different (or not) from the chemicals that I'm used to using, i.e., those in the 5L kit.

I see all the familiar chemicals, but then there are these "starters". How do I use those? Are the dilution ratios the same for all the chemicals? Any help and or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would love to know this as well because I have used K's 5L kit (still have 2 kits unopened) and know I will need to plan another route in the near future.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As far as I know, the chemicals work the same way. The bulk concentrates that kodak sells are considered replenishers, which are to be added to already used or 'seasoned' chemicals. The bottles of starter are used to turn the replenisher into a usable developer, bleach, etc. IIRC, the starter is not quite essential for the bleach or fix steps; it only matters for the developers. To some extent I can confirm this because I use C41 bleach replenisher sans starter without problem.

There was a pdf somewhere that showed how to mix smaller amounts of E6 chemicals from the bulk concentrates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak has some very detailed Technical Publications for E6 - both the regular E6 as well as the 5L kits.
    Check out this link and you can find out the differences in the kits.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...18/13629/14330

Gord

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey, thanks for the info!! Will check out the PDF. I really made a score. Gallons and gallons of E6 chemicals, just when I was about to run out of my last 5L kit :-D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am down to two 5L kits and more film than what they will process so I am now on the look out for kits or a source for Kodak bulk chemicals. I still have 70 sheets of Ektachrome 5x7 that I need to shoot and process this spring and summer as well as 4x5 and 120 roll film.
    Gord

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin