Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,576   Online: 953

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E6 Blix Sources

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make sure that formalin is in the stabilizer then or you are going to have some unhappy customers down the road.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Can you get the above chemicals?? If so, and if you are comfortable with mixing, I will give you a formula!

PE
    Ron, what is your Bleach formula, using Ferric Chloride and EDTA? I used the ORWO version, but it does not keep well.

For the fixer, I am using a very simple fixer formula which use plain sodium thiosulphate with some ammonium chloride. This is modified from an ORWO fixer formula for colour film.

Sodium Thiosulphate 10H2O: 200 grams
    Ammonium Chloride: 50 grams
    Sodium Metabisulphite: 25 grams.
    Water QS to 1000 ml.

Fixing time for colour negative film is about 3-5 minutes at 38ºC. About the same time for E6 chromes. The fixing times may be different from the official schedules given in C41 and E6 kits, but when hand processing with a tank, the differing times should not matter.

The 1 litre solutions I use can fix about 25 rolls before the clearing rate slows down significantly.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try this one;

FeCl3.6H2O 24 grams
    (NH4)2EDTA 110 grams
    (NH4)2SO3 15 grams

Dissolve in 500 ml of water at 80F adding water untll the total volume is 3/4 Liter. Bring to pH 6.6 gradually when you hit 750 ml of volume using 28% NH4OH so that you do not overrun the volume then continue to add water to 1L. This makes Ammonium Chloride in situ. If the bleach fails to dissolve completely or leaves a stain on the film, then there is not enough EDTA. Add another 5.5 grams (~5%) The solution should be blood red, not orange!

If everything does not dissolve at 1 liter let it stand for a bit in warm water. It should last for months. This is a bleach similar to that used in E6. The fix you give is quite weak for E6 films. Both should be usable for longer than 6 minutes IMHO.

This bleach should keep months as-is.

Or, you can buy commercial NH4FeEDTA solution and use that.

Bleaching activity goes up as pH goes down, but an orange precipitate can form. I suggest that pH be no lower than 4.7. The color will turn from red to orange. Higher concentrations of all ingredients can be used if done in proportion. This should give rapid enough bleaching as-is, but may require a longer time. IDK. Never tried it on modern E6 films.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Try this one;

FeCl3.6H2O 24 grams
    (NH4)2EDTA 110 grams
    (NH4)2SO3 15 grams

Dissolve in 500 ml of water at 80F adding water untll the total volume is 3/4 Liter. Bring to pH 6.6 gradually when you hit 750 ml of volume using 28% NH4OH so that you do not overrun the volume then continue to add water to 1L. This makes Ammonium Chloride in situ. If the bleach fails to dissolve completely or leaves a stain on the film, then there is not enough EDTA. Add another 5.5 grams (~5%) The solution should be blood red, not orange!

If everything does not dissolve at 1 liter let it stand for a bit in warm water. It should last for months. This is a bleach similar to that used in E6. The fix you give is quite weak for E6 films. Both should be usable for longer than 6 minutes IMHO.

This bleach should keep months as-is.

Or, you can buy commercial NH4FeEDTA solution and use that.

Bleaching activity goes up as pH goes down, but an orange precipitate can form. I suggest that pH be no lower than 4.7. The color will turn from red to orange. Higher concentrations of all ingredients can be used if done in proportion. This should give rapid enough bleaching as-is, but may require a longer time. IDK. Never tried it on modern E6 films.

PE
    thanks Ron!

Does this bleach required to aerated like the Kodak bleaches to keep it 'alive'?

The fixer I use clears Fujichromes in about 3 minutes. I leave it for about 3 more to ensure fixing. For colour negatives, the clearing time is shorter- about 2 minutes.

Does the ammonium chloride in the formula ( fixer) really convert some of the sodium thiosulphate to ammonium thiousulphate?
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZorkiKat View Post
    Does the ammonium chloride in the formula ( fixer) really convert some of the sodium thiosulphate to ammonium thiousulphate?
    "Convert" would be a misleading word - sodium thiosulphate is an ionic compound -- so when you dissolve it in water, you will have Na+ ions and thiosulphate- ions hanging in the solution -- they are now free from each other. Now, you can off course add different kind of ions in the same soup such as NH4+ and Cl- by adding ammonium chloride which is also an ionic compound... Then you can say that you have ammonium thiosulphate there, but you can also say that you have sodium thiosulphate, and ammonium chloride, and even sodium chloride! . In reality, you just have sodium, ammonium, thiosulphate and chloride mixed.

Now you can see, if you use ammonium chloride and sodium thiosulphate, you have both Na+ and NH4+ ions hanging in the solution at the same time. Fixer works more rapidly when it uses NH4+ ions instead of Na+ ions to form the silver-thiosulphate complexes, so when both of them are available, the resulting fixing action should be somewhere between the "pure" ammonium fixer and "pure" sodium fixer. I'm sure PE can explain this fixing action in more detail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All Ferric EDTA bleaches can be regenerated by aeration.

No Blix should be regenerated by aeration.

I don't recommend Blix formulas for film.

The formula I gave is not a Blix.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again PE for the info.

Thanks also hrst. The published material which have the ammonium chloride + hypo formula all say "convert" in one way or another. Your explanation cleared this up. These fix baths indeed do fix quickly, significantly faster than the ordinary hypo types.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin