Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,326   Online: 743

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E6 Blix Sources

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

E6 Blix Sources

Hello all,

I have been developing my own E6 slides for about 5 years now. I usually use 1L kits, but recently came across a deal on large 15L jugs of Tetenal 1st & color developer. Now I'm looking for some blix to complement these but I'm having a problem finding it in similar quantity. I can only find it as part of a kit. Can anyone point me to a source where I can buy compatible blix separately, or where I can get the components to mix my own? Thanks !

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Does anyone have the list of items to purchase that cover the entire E-6 kit?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Try doing a thread search with "Suggested replacement for Kodak 5l kit"
    it lists all the product numbers for E6..
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will need:

Ferric Chloride or Ferric Nitrate. If the latter is used you will need Ammonium Chloride as well. You will need enough EDTA to make the Ferric EDTA complex and have a 10% excess of EDTA. You will need Sodium Sulfite. Or, just buy Ammonium Ferric EDTA solution, add a 10% excess of EDTA based on EDTA already there, and add Ammonium Chloride and Sodium Sulfite.

That make the bleach half.

You can use C-41 Fixer for the fix part. Mixing them both together will make a blix, but you can see that the ingredients will be weakened by their dilution of each other. That is why neither Kodak nor Fuji make a blix. It becomes too weak.

You will have to have a method to adjust the pH of the above to about 6.5 at 20 deg C.

Also, you will need either a pre-bleach or a Formalin Stabilizer to give proper image stability. This is no matter what kit or formula you use. Otherwise, your slides will begin to fade in about 10+ years.

Are you sure you shouldn't just buy some pre-prepared bleach and fix?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    snip
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

Are you sure you shouldn't just buy some pre-prepared bleach and fix?

PE
    It's no longer a case of just buying it.
    It's hard to run down and most wont ship it.

When you do find a supplier that will ship they never have everything you need so you get to pay hazmat a few different times and have things shipped from the far reaches of the USA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you get the above chemicals?? If so, and if you are comfortable with mixing, I will give you a formula!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ferric chloride is used widely in etching of printed circuit boards (especially popular within electronic hobbyists) and for this purpose it should be available for very low price. I don't know about the quality but probably good enough. The one sold for that purpose is usually the hexahydrate form.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E6 films put a heavy load on both bleaching and fixing. C41 films put a mild load on bleaching and a heavy load on fixing. This is a very rough generalization. There is more to it due to the use of high iodide emulsions and DIR couplers in C41 films, but that is good enough. So, the bleach designs are different, but the fix designs can be "close".

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know this is sacrilegious around here but if I think I've resigned to the fact that I'll have to process my remaining E6 stock (which I have a fair amount in the freezer) in an Arista Kit or some other compromise. I'm only shooting E6 for personal work these days.

99.8 % of MY clients wont pay for send out.

The correct chemicals are just too hard to find now and going with a recipe is over my head I'm afraid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin