Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,822   Online: 842

Shooter
    Multi Format

Airport X Ray Scanners - Here we go again...

I am reasonably convinced that the carry-on scanner affected my film. I have had film pass through many times with no effect. This last time the bag went in the X Ray, the guy looked at his screen, then started talking to his other buddies for several minutes with my bag inside. I developed a roll and there are a few red marks and reddish streaks here and there on the film. I would appreciate other opinions from those more knowledgable about X Ray than I am.
    Thanks.
    Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm pretty sure with the current stuff they just take their one normal exposure and that's it. Amplifying the image is just like using levels in Photoshop iirc. I don't think they pound more X-Rays through it.

Someone correct me if wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm under the same impression, and, that if the conveyor belt stops, the X-ray stops at the same time automatically. AFAIK, X-ray scanner is like a scanner as the name suggests, not like a video camera.

Red color in final positive print strongly points towards light leak, I'm afraid. The X-ray damage is more neutral in color. Light leaks are usually red if they strike the film from the back side, exposing the bottom red-sensitive layer. Still, I wouldn't rule the x-ray completely out. Please show examples if you can scan your images!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    See the problem is that Xray scanners in each airport vary so much, you can be dealing with one that that was installed in LAX last week or something that was installed 30 years ago in NOC in Ireland (Yep true) and each one will effect your film differently.

But what hrst has said is true, xray damage is usually more of a 'fog' on the film as opposed to defined streaking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    JayGannon;

No, there are two different kinds of X-ray damage; the even fogging as you describe which is harder to identify, and a defined streaking which is very easy to identify, especially with rolled-up film where the pattern can be very distinctive. For examples of the latter, see: http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion...tion/index.htm

And yes, these different types are produced by different types of X-ray scanners...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sorry yes I didn't explain properly, I was more alluding to the portions affected being fogged rather than heavily defined streaks, but the fogging can be defined.. if that makes sense?

The fogging I've encountered would look like the 'Vertical Fog Exposure' on that Kodak document. (I love Kodaks documentation btw, they have something to describe pretty much everything)

When traveling with equipment and film I generally fin that most places will give you a hand inspection if you show them proof that your a photographer, and ask nicely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yeah, "defined fogging" makes perfectly sense... They are clearly defined patterns, but the stripes are quite even in density and the density is not very high at any point... Light leaks, on the other hand, usually have a very hot spot, with radially decreasing density around it. Not always though but they seldom are as even-density as x-ray streaks.

However, there really is also a variety of X-ray fogging which is a very consistent, even fog and increased graininess without distinct streaking... Kodak has examples for this type of damage, too; http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../tib5201.shtml (see the "Examiner 3DX 6000" and elephant examples).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah I probably have had that a few times but Im never sure if it was because of Xray or just me messing up my development! Its hard to know what the cause was without any definition to the fogging/defect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great info
    Thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin