Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,576   Online: 999

Shooter
    4x5 Format

NEW Professional Color Negative Film from KODAK

I was the Worldwide Manager for PORTRA films I when they were introduced about 10 years ago so I know their capability. I retired in 2003.

The Rochester whiz kids have now introduced a new PORTRA 160 Film with even finer grain than the original PORTRA 160NC and 160VC.

If you want to see how film is made see my website:

http://www.makingKODAKfilm.com

More on the film:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...q-path=2301065

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I can't say I'm surprised they consolidated the 160VC/NC films as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by willrea View Post
    Well, I can't say I'm surprised they consolidated the 160VC/NC films as well.
    I think you mean the 400 VC/NC ? And fortunately they made a very good job of it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm gonna miss 160VC though, it just had a way of rendering skin tones with just enough warmth that 160NC couldn't. And don't even get me started on red's and yellows vs the pastel-ness of 160NC. I could backlight people no problem, it just kept right on chuggin .

I'm really going to miss 160VC, I have to say its probably my favorite film of all time, hands down

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is really good news, although not unexpected. I, like many, find Ektar 100 rather harsh for most uses. Although a bit more grainy, the new Portra 160 offers a lower saturation alternative. I notice that the new film has pretty high contrast, however. This is not a problem for people who scan their negatives, but it may be an issue for those who still do regular color prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    This is really good news, although not unexpected. I, like many, find Ektar 100 rather harsh for most uses. Although a bit more grainy, the new Portra 160 offers a lower saturation alternative. I notice that the new film has pretty high contrast, however. This is not a problem for people who scan their negatives, but it may be an issue for those who still do regular color prints.
    Contrast is really easy to deal with by adjusting development time. People who do RA-4 (like me) also do their C-41 quite usually.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm excited about it. I don't like fewer film emulsions being available but I do understand Kodak's motivation in producing a few high quality films.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This should be interesting.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin