Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,095   Online: 1053

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With powder it is generally a bad idea to try and keep half the powder back as the ingredients may not be mixed thoroughly in the packets. So, I mix mine up all at once. I don't toss it out, I keep using it over and over anyways so I just pour into the tank as much as I need (290-1000mL) for each batch and pour it back into the bottle afterward. The stuff lasts a long time in cold storage so you don't need to really worry about smaller batches. My current 1L kit has done 20 rolls in 5-6 weeks and it still works well.
    Last edited by hpulley; 02-24-2011 at 07:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    With powder it is generally a bad idea to try and keep half the powder back as the ingredients may not be mixed thoroughly in the packets. So, I mix mine up all at once. I don't toss it out, I keep using it over and over anyways so I just pour into the tank as much as I need (290-1000mL) for each batch and pour it back into the bottle afterward. The stuff lasts a long time in cold storage so you don't need to really worry about smaller batches. My current 1L kit has done 20 rolls in 5-6 weeks and it still works well.
    OK, one mix does it.

The amount of film per 500 ml (480 actually according to the instruction sheet) appears to be the same as one shot in a Jobo so I assume the balance is depletion versus oxidation. What are the advantages of reusing over discarding?

Thanks for all your help. I look forward to using C-41 after years of E-6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you discard after use then a 2L kit will only do four films at 480mL per shot! At $33 for 2L this won't be cost effective, you can get film developed for $8 at a lab. You must reuse these chemicals to make them cost effective. I think the bigger Flexicolor kits can be cost effective in one shot use but the advertised capacity of 8-12 120/135-36 films for 1L (I'm at 20 films already) or 16-24 for 2L requires you to reuse the chemicals. Their effectiveness seems to be fairly constant over time though I'm developing for a little longer and blixing for longer just to be sure (the blix runs to completion but I have overdeveloped a roll and blown the highlights so don't develop for too long).
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    I was thinking more along the lines of mixing up the 2L, taking 480ml off for processing and sealing the remaining 1520ml back in the bottle. The 480ml would be used for processing four films and discarded. Repeating that process until the kit was gone would still make it 16 films per kit at two bucks and a bit a film. All things considered I would be only too happy at that price and would not want to jeopardize the time and effort put into the photographs to push it further. It seems so inexpensive compared to the less desirable alternatives. I remember getting film back from a 'professional lab' that looked like it was processed by my cat. The mailing cost as much as the processing.

After reading your post on divvying up the powder I wrote to FreeStyle and asked to have the order changed from three 2 liter to six 1 liter kits. It was no problem. They are good people.

Thanks for all your help. Now I just have to wait for the product to arrive.
    Last edited by jwwbrennan; 02-25-2011 at 01:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin