Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,665   Online: 808

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Ektar exaggerates color casts, and is harder to correct than some films.
    +1
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get similar results with new Portra 400; blue-cast in the shadows. Is this similar to what the OP is getting? Skin tone (also in shadow) seems accurate (though a bit underexposed) but snow in shadow is blueish. This is a basic Walgreens scan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20110129_19sm.JPG  
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Additionally, my comments were mainly about color, not exposure (though exposure does affect color). Ektar exaggerates color casts, and is harder to correct than some films.
    I see what you are saying, I just don't think it's as bad as a lot of people state. Note, I didn't color correct these scans - this is what the lab gave me. You could easily correct out certain features if you chose. I apologize for the pictures and the slight off-topicness.

Proper exposure:

Ektar 100 0 by ezwal, on Flickr

3 stops over:

Ektar 100 +3 by ezwal, on Flickr

1 stop under:

Ektar 100 -1 by ezwal, on Flickr

Yes, the black roof of the car looks a bit blue - it is reflecting the sky after all. Barring that, I'd call the 3 stop over shot pretty dang good, more than just passable. The 1 stop under is definitely starting to lose it in the shadows, but by and large, the colors still look pretty good to me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the comments. I tried posting at DPUG but they said "film, what's that?"

The prints from the Frontier which I think are not done optically had the same color cast, but I htink partially corrected by the operator. I had fixed this one to some degree but not enough. The film seems much more sensitive to this effect than Kod UC 100. Seems odd to use a warming filter on neg film, but perhaps that isn't a bad idea. I need to learn how to use this film better and correct the scans. The scans were certainly usable. Other ones in different light were very nice as is.
    http://tinyurl.com/4p94nsn
    Thanks,
    Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That looks like poor correction by the operator to me. As in - maybe there is a blue cast on the actual negative, but without a gray reference in the shot, who knows. Maybe the operator adjusted each shot, if so, there's no reference to be had from frame to frame. Only if he corrected the first frame right and then let the rest go through with the same correction is there something approaching a reference.

I took this shot into PS and you can knock out most of the blue quite easily if you so desire.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim, were commenting on my shot of the little girl in the snow? If so, thanks.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    Tim, were commenting on my shot of the little girl in the snow? If so, thanks.
    Sorry, I was commenting on the link to the caterpillar on the plant. Your shot looks good to me. The shadows in your shot look right in my opinion - they really would be blue, and especially noticeable in real life since it's snow.

In this discussion, I think it's important to separate 'shadows' from 'dark tones'. Shadows during the day should be bluish as mentioned - they are lit by indirect lighting during the day, i.e. the blue sky. Dark tones are not necessarily always shadows. I see no reason why dark tones, say a black object in direct sunlight, or midtones on an underexposed negative, should be blue on Ektar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    This is a basic Walgreens scan.
    I'm looking at this on a high end screen. If I reduce the screen gamut to sRGB the scan is still way over-saturated and contrast-stretched past anything reasonable. At higher color gamuts, the image is absurdly exaggerated. This is likely the Walgreens machine being set to compensate for poor quality photography by boosting color saturation and contrast so that the print looks colorful and sharp. I see this a lot, and believe me, a well done scan on your own equipment looks completely different. A lot of the online objections to Ektar 100 are based on scans that were poorly done.

This really should be taken to dpug.org. There are Ektar users there.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the comments. I thought the poster who mentioned DPUG had tongue firmly planted in cheek, but I now see it is real. oops.
    It seems the spectral sensitivities/high sat and contrast may play a role in exagerrating the color cast but the scanning methodolgy seems to be the biggest variable. One more thing to take in house, I guess. sigh The Frontier seems to be an issue only with specific conditons though. Perhaps I'll shoot a target in such light too as an alternative.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin