Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,197   Online: 768

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fuji Crystal Archive Type 2 Vs. Type C HELP!

I have been printing on Type C professional Fuji paper since I ran out of my cut Kodak paper, with great results. However I was running low so I went to B&H to get some more, when I asked for Type C they handed me was Type 2, I wasn't too worried so I started printing on it today. After making my last Type C print I popped in my Type 2, same numbers in the pack and everything- the print was a complete mess. Type 2 has extremely flat colors, mottled blacks, and is very thin, its pretty gross and presents a whole new set of corrections that I have to deal with before I get back on to the rhythm I had found with Type C. Does anyone have any advice about how to deal with this paper, or even better a recommendation for a paper to better replace Type C?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh no. I just got 3 boxes of Type 2 from B&H yesterday. I had also been using the C, and found that to be a little lackluster in the colors. Now you're saying Type 2 is flat. Crapola. $150 down the drain. But this doesn't seem plausible. Fuji raves about their new and improved colors and I'm sure they didn't make a drab paper to compete with Kodak. Chem wise I've made home brew RA-4 Developer, and I have used Kodak RA-RT, and found the results to be the same. I also used to use now unavailable FotoSpeed Kits, and they produced brilliant strong colors, which I still have not been able to replicate. All from FCA Type C. So that tells me it's not the paper giving me the drabs. As for the filter pack being crazy different, I guess thats almost to be expected. Also it's disappointing to hear that Type 2 is thinner. Oh the humanity!! I kinda doubt if jumping to Kodak and cutting the clumsy rolls in the dark is necessarily a sure fix, but many have written that Kodak Film, with their paper and their chemistry is the way to go. Still there is no reason Fuji Paper in any RA-4 should be drab. This must not stand.
    Last edited by Particle Accelerator; 03-05-2011 at 06:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So is it really that bad, the Type II? Should I get some Kodak rolls instead? If so, which ones???
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hpulley- Yeah, I think it's "that bad." I blew $300 on Type II paper and I sacrificed two boxes of 16x20 simply for the dark bag and box. I have no idea what Fuji was thinking and I question if they did any analog testing. I special ordered a roll of matte Super Type C from B+H and it arrived in a timely manner. It just took three hours on a Saturday to cut 10% of it down. I posted in another thread that Type II is good for two things: bird cage lining and causing analog color shooters to go digital (which I refuse to do until it's totally gone).

Larry, Colorado

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anybody actually been able to make good prints with this stuff?

And on the subject of cutting down Kodak rolls, it seems there's a bewildering variety of those out now too. What's been discontinued (Endura?) and what has not been that still works ok? How do folks cut this stuff down? Any problems with curls from having been in a roll?

If decently usable paper is available in long rolls it seems someone by now would have a little side business cutting it into sheets. Maybe Freestyle could be persuaded to add a house brand of color paper that's really just cut down rolls of Kodak? Assuming Kodak agreed of course. Unlike the film, it wouldn't have to be any cheaper. Most of us would pay a reasonable premium just for cut paper.

Just when I was about to talk myself into getting back into color in my re-enthusiasm for photography and the darkroom, it seems the paper has been yanked from under me. I'm half tempted to just go back to Ilfochrome. It's ungodly expensive in comparison and special order but it IS available, and I always liked printing on it and the results back in the day. Of course that also assumes I could continue to get E6 films for a while.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Somebody is cutting Kodak Endura down because I saw boxes of it for sale on ebay. They were white boxes rather than Kodak yellow. Endura is the name of all of Kodak's color paper. Supra Endura (medium contrast) was discontinued in sheets and replaced by Supra Endura VC in rolls, Portra Endura (low contrast) was discontinued altogether years ago, and Ultra Endura (high contrast) is still available in rolls.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is the best color paper to get while we still can? I ask because a 5"x575' roll of Kodak Ektacolor Supra III is almost 1000 5x7 prints so if I get it I hope I like it. The price is right at least though the shipping is almost as much! Too old?
    Last edited by hpulley; 03-31-2011 at 10:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Supra III pre-dates Endura, so that will be pretty out of date. I'd skip it ( the 5 x 575 roll).

Basically any later supra endura in sheets is still worth snagging. I am sitting on 4000 sheets or so in various sizes.

It lasts a long time, even well past it's out-of-date range. Even longer if you freeze it I think. I am using some from years ago and it's still fine.

-Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by slightlyleft View Post
    I have been printing on Type C professional Fuji paper since I ran out of my cut Kodak paper, with great results. However I was running low so I went to B&H to get some more, when I asked for Type C they handed me was Type 2, ...
    Does anyone know more about this change? When did the Type 2 come out? I use Type P for contact printing and Type C for enlarging. Are they still available.

I'll call Fuji when I get a chance, but sometimes the info from analog users is more helpful since most things are geared to digital now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Supra III is indeed very out of date. I would not use it However, the worst is that it will lose speed and yellow a bit.

Fuji, type II CA supposedly takes a new developer according to a paper given by the workers at Fuji and presented at the ICIS a few years back. That may be your problem. You should look into it.

PE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin