Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,509   Online: 883

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Are you sure? Have you seen unprocessed E6 movie films to check this by yourself? I unfortunately haven't checked it by myself, but Kodak says they HAVE remjet backing, and I'd rather trust them.

Here is a message from Kodak I got forwarded from one guy who asked whether the 5285 Ektachrome 100D could be used in still cameras;

I'm not completely sure about E-6, but I know there is no remjet backing on any VNF films. I assume that If there was remjet on E-6, it would require a different process name, even if it used the same chemicals, like ME-4 and E-4. VNF film does have an antistatic backing, but it is either water-soluble or completely insoluble (it does not contaminate the chemistry).
    Last edited by nickrapak; 03-07-2011 at 01:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ektachrome in Nescafe

Hello, this is my first reply on apug. I use KODAK 16mm Ektachrome and Tri-Reversal at work a lot, whenever I do my own test batches I've never had a problem with the anti-scratch layer. Then again I always do at least a 10min final rinse. I have done Double X 16mm in Nescafe just last week and it came out. I will scan it asap but i gotta look thru my recycle bin. Why not shoot in Tri-X or DoubleX since the Caffeic Acid only develops the silver and doesn't affect the dyes (at least from what I've seen in my tests) otherwise, why not try tri-x or dbl-x since it would be less expensive?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yuri ,

Welcome to APUG ! I thinked may be I can get some strange colors. What do I need to add to developer for activate the dyes ?

Best ,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nescafe move over, hello L'Oreal my attempts so far to activate dyes....

Thanks for the welcome! My best results with completely home-made recipes for color in so far have been on c-41 films, still haven't tried it on slide film. Wanted to try that sometime soon.

At this point maybe skip the coffee altogether.
    (I got this idea from looking up "C-41 Do it Yourself & Hairdye" and found a group on Flickr, so I can't take the credit) i just used the chemicals/materials I happened to have on hand:

Kodak 200/Lake George, NY 2004-5 and sat in a hot attic until last week)
    Small Tank/1 Roll
    Developer (Use once, discard)
    - 3 Tspns of Sodium Bicarbonate
    - 10-11 ml L'Oreal Black Ferria Hairdye
    - .5 Tspn of Sodium Metasulphite (Stump-Out)
    - 2 drops Rubbing Alcohol 70%
    - 1 Drop Photoflo
    - 1/8 grm Betadine Iodine Cream
    - 1 drop HC-110 (Can be omitted?)
    - Water to make 250ml
    Stop
    -2 Tspns Sodium Metasulphite
    -5ml G. Acetic Acid nice
    -500ml Water
    Bleach-->
    Copper Chloride Solution (made with electrosis of copper in salt+h20 solution at 24v DC)
    If at best contains some copper chloride)
    Any old Fixer will do (I used really exhausted Fixer)

Temperature as close to 100 deg F throughout.
    Developed for 15 minutes, gentle 5sec every 3 minutes agitation cycle.
    Stop 30seconds
    Water Wash 2 min
    Bleach 12 min
    Water Wash 2 min
    Fixer 10 min
    Final Wash/Rinse 5min (wiped it w/ a wet sponge to remove excess "grim" left by process)
    Hang n' Dry
    sorry for the long reply but I figured it might apply, just to note my first try was with just 6-7 ml of Hairdye and Water I let it sit for an hour at 68 deg F and the negs were in color but very thin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yuric41smaller.png  
    Last edited by yurisrey; 03-07-2011 at 06:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    why Nescafe?

I always used Folgers instant coffee

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    hi darkeroomexperimente

the OP is in turkey, maybe folgers isn't readily available there ...

(nice to see you back ! )
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i agree Folgers is the way to go, but I have substituted it with Nescafe when I couldn't find it and even plain espresso coffee from my stovetop espresso maker. I believe its the caffeic acid in the coffee that does the trick since its pretty close to catechol. I once made a silly experiment using infusions of all sorts: plain coffee in water as the control and a dozen other infusions, like rosemary, oregano, and even tobacco in water. Just as I suspected the infusions that contained higher caffeic acid converted the halides. My favorite is Rosemary, I took 6 tspns of rosemary herb let it soak for 6 hours in 10oz water, filtered it and added vit c and washing soda. comes out green-tone, but overall similar to caffenol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I also tried Rosemary...I have notes somewhere

is caffeic acid a "polyphenol" ?? I had understood polyphenols were what did the trick

I have a great photo chemistry book that claimed it was the caffeine...but I had my doubts so I tried caffeine+sodium carbonate & nothing happened

now would the haircoloring developer work with a BW film...( since I assume you would have a color dev & color couplers in the dev ) ???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi darkroomexperimente, i am very curious as well, I will be trying out just 6ml hairdye/200ml h20 on some Double X right now (I was doing another diy c-41 anyway tonight) will have the results up by twelve. I also read that it was caffeine-then I stumbled upon the caffeic acid wiki were they mention Caffenol, although wiki isn't the best resource out there

Shooter
    Multi Format
    interesting...I read multiple sources that said it was polyphenols

I had a great time looing at labels in the grocery store ( Whole Foods I think ) looking for chemical names that seemed familiar...or products that bragged about antioxidants...it's really amazing how many common things work...many of the thigs I tried were very weak, but it was amazing to me they worked at all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin