Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,441   Online: 727

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Can we develop Movie Ektachrome Film in Nescafe

I found short end Ektachrome Movie Film 200 ASA and 500 ASA and thinking to develop in nescafe. Is it possible ? I dont want to preremove the antireflection layer , may be developer smooth it and I can rub under water with my hands .

Umut

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi umut

i know you can process regular chrome and c41 film in coffee ( you will need to make sure it is robusta coffee, not arabica, ) as well
    as sodium carbonate and vit c ... but i am not sure about movie film .. the remjet (?) layer might be hard to remove,
    unless you do a long soak, or you use very-dilute household bleach ( after the film is processed ) ... and you will get a black and white image ...
    with a yellowish mask that is very hard to print using conventional enlarger+wet darkroom methods.

you could do a clip and process a small amount before you shoot the whole reel/s

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NO NO NO, no household bleach. No, you don't need long soaks.

Remjet layer is removed by almost any weak base. Sodium bicarbonate works, borax works, sodium carbonate works... I mostly use bicarbonate.

But you need the mechanical removing. Rubbing under water with fingers works great, BUT you risk having remjet particles that stick to the emulsion side. I have used this procedure:

(1) Soak in warm sodium bicarbonate or sodium carbonate bath (I have used a few tablespoons per 5 liters) for a minute, with gentle agitation
    (2) Move the film to a large bucket or sink full of warm water, run the film gently between your fingers
    (3) Move to a second bucket with water just like in (2), repeat running between your fingers.

This usually gives satisfactory results with some small remjet specs that are hard to distinguish from the dust and scratches this kind of processing gives you anyway . However, sometimes I have repeated (1)-(3) with new, clean baths after (3).

Developers are alkaline and thus they will also soften the remjet backing. So, even if you had some remjet remaining, developer will get rid of most of it.

Please note that these tips are not for "clean", high-quality process, and will leave some minor defects. If you want to do it correctly, you need to have a special machinery with water sprays and rotating buffers. Carefully oriented water sprays are used also on emulsion side to ensure that the dirty, remjettish water cannot get to the emulsion side.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Dear John ,

Thank you for your answer. Do you know Nescafe brand ? Its a powdered and heavily processed coffee which takes seconds to mix in to the water. I dont know what is the equivalent in USA .
    I can find it at all markets here and may be its possible to find it at all Europe. May be you are talking about it with robusta coffee ?

What is the fixer recipe for home ? I need a fixer from materials which I can easily find from market or pharmecy. Can anyone help me ?

Thank you ,

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you very much hrst.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Can I develop with remjet and remove the remjet after the development. And I need Nescafe developer formula , time , heat and home made fixer formula and time , heat.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you have the process code for these films? If they are more recent (within the last 20 years or so), they are either process VNF-1 or E-6, neither of which uses a rem-jet backing.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fixer is either sodium thiosulphate or ammonium thiosulphate. I THINK they are available for some purposes for pool or aquarium use but are not very widely available for these kind of purposes. But you can try your luck.

You can develop with remjet and remove it afterwards, but you will get remjet particles in your developer and cannot reuse it without high risk of particles sticking to the emulsion of the next film you process. The separate prebath I described above is much much cheaper to change every time.

You can find coffee formulas if you Google for Caffenol or Caffenol C. I'd suggest the version with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) added, because then you will at least have one reliable developing agent in the mix, coffee in itself is quite a big variable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    they are either process VNF-1 or E-6, neither of which uses a rem-jet backing.
    Are you sure? Have you seen unprocessed E6 movie films to check this by yourself? I unfortunately haven't checked it by myself, but Kodak says they HAVE remjet backing, and I'd rather trust them.

Here is a message from Kodak I got forwarded from one guy who asked whether the 5285 Ektachrome 100D could be used in still cameras;

Hi xxxx,

It sounds like you are looking to spool the 100D for use in your still camera. One of the major differences is the anti-halation layer. The motion picture film uses a removable layer called rem-jet. It can only be removed in the motion picture process and will contaminate the still film processing machine chemicals. The other difference is the actual speed of the emulsion. The Motion Picture film is rated with an Exposure Index ( E.I.) the actual speed in terms of still fim is approx. 200 ASA. For these reasons the films are not considered interchangable.
    If you would like to purchase a roll of motion picture film please check the kodak web site for the sales rep in your country.

xxxx
    Eastman Kodak Company

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi umut

i just called the folks that make nescafé
    they said any of the coffee that says "100% columbian coffee" will be 100% arabica beans
    so do not use those coffees. the other ones, the ones that do not say 100% ... will be a blend
    of arabica and robusto and would work for your developer.

as hrst suggested there is no "kitchen cabinet fixer" so you will have to try your luck.

with regards to household bleach a fellow i know on flickr uses it often
    his household bleach is 5% and he dilutes it further 1:9 ... sorry for the curveball
    i didn't know you could just remove it with your fingers ...

good luck !
    john

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin