Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,107   Online: 1055

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Let me rephrase the question. I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.

I want to shoot in low light situations. Most of the time, I'm going to be shooting as slow a shutter as I can hold, and with a lens close to wide open.

I know that some people just underexpose their film and it comes out fine, even without push processing.

So my question is: What would give better results: Shoot at EI 3200 and push three stops, or shoot at EI 3200 and only push two?

I noticed in my negatives that the whites tend to block up. If I only push two stops, can I keep more highlight detail, and would it mean less shadow detail?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    3 stop push.
    Even better would be EI 2500 and 3 stop push.

At +5 stops overexposed I haven't lost highlight detail. I would suggest that losing highlight detail would be more to do with your reproduction method, rather than the actual negative.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Athiril! I haven't physically got the negatives back yet. I just have the scans I downloaded from Richard Photo Lab. I'll have a look at them on the light table when they get here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ah yeah, you got to decide what the white point on negs is going to be, you can extend it out to include everything, but you'll get very flat contrast looking negs, though you can have both good contrast and the entire neg range, it's just a little more work than a straight scan or print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm not too worried. It seems that the compression of highlights is only happening in the very tippy top of the curve. The white protest signs the guy in the candy dress is holding, for example.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin