Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,991   Posts: 1,633,113   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

PortraVC400 shot at EI100

Just started a new roll and took some shots at a friends wedding (I was not their photographer though few) and did not reset the ASA and started shooting at EI 100. I do have a lab that does pull film but I would like to know what to expect.
    In BW film i should get more sharpness, less grain, but how does pulling affect colour films?
    Has anyone shot at EI 100 as I would like to see the shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    At "just" 2 stops over personally I wouldn't even pull, at 4 maybe, but not at 2. There is normally plenty of room on the film curve for 2-3 stops extra.

The negatives will be a bit thicker than "normal" and there will be plenty of shadow detail, enlarger times will be longer. Shouldn't even be an issue for your lab to scan and print if that's the plan.

Many people shoot 2 stops over with C-41 films like this as standard practice.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you dont pull your contrast/lighting conditions will look like lower ratios than they really are. Anyway it should be fine.

I'd only pull 1 stop if you really want to pull, but it's not necessary, save yourself the expensve at the lab unless you DIY.

Shooter
    35mm
    I should mention that I do use a hybrid workflow for my colour work so I will be scanning the neg, could this cause problems?
    Thanks for the replies mark and Athiril

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It shouldn't. Ektar at +4 and +5 stops were noisy in some parts due to the terrible SNR of any current generation scanner (you mostly need a scanner thats up to 2 decades old for good SNR, good optics, etc), New Portra 400 handled it easy. +2 shouldn't be any kind of issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulJance View Post
    I should mention that I do use a hybrid workflow for my colour work so I will be scanning the neg, could this cause problems?
    Thanks for the replies mark and Athiril
    I don't know specifically how they do it, but the lab I use has no issue scanning +2 negs.

For specific hybrid process questions http://www.dpug.org/forums/home.php is the right place to ask. Hybrid work questions at APUG are off topic.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    BTW welcome to APUG

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll lose detail in the highlights, but that can look kind of interesting and a little ethereal. Actually, it's a look that I've seen emulated by digital wedding photographers. White skin, for example, will lose detail. But especially, for women that can actually be very flattering. If I were a wedding photographer I'd probably overexpose by one stop just for that reason. You may have to worry about blowing the highlights in the dress. But you'll get good detail in the black clothes.

If your photos were taken in bright sunlight, you might want to pull one stop. Have you talked to your lab?

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With current color neg films, you probably WON'T lose detail in the highlights, even in difficult situations! 2 stops over is nothing special.

I'd just have them developed normally and enjoy, but of course you can ask for pull processing... If you really were to blow out your highlights by placing them long into shoulder, pull processing wouldn't help that much, anyway, as it more likely lowers overall contrast. With lousy scanners, it may help a bit though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    With current color neg films, you probably WON'T lose detail in the highlights, even in difficult situations! 2 stops over is nothing special.

I'd just have them developed normally and enjoy, but of course you can ask for pull processing... If you really were to blow out your highlights by placing them long into shoulder, pull processing wouldn't help that much, anyway, as it more likely lowers overall contrast. With lousy scanners, it may help a bit though.
    Agreed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin