Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,886   Online: 1162

Thread: Old E6 Bleach

Shooter
    Medium Format

Old E6 Bleach

Okay, so I was in a local shop today and they had a Kodak E-6 Developer's Kit. I know it's old chemistry, but I thought I'd give it a try - especially at the price I paid for it. The only question is the Bleach has white chunks of stuff in the bottom and isn't perfectly clear. The rest of the chemicals look fine. Can I reconstitute the Bleach or do I just need to get some new Bleach?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The bleach keeps better than any of the other chemistry, provided it is Kodak or Fuji branded. So, if you can redissolve the chunks, and if the bleach is blood red, you should have no problem. Even if you do, you can always rebleach, wash, fix, wash and stabilize the film.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The bleach is not red at all, it looks kinda like dirty developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dilute some with some water (about 1 part water to 1 part bleach). If it turns red, then it is ok. If not, then based on my knowledge of the longevity of the E6 bleach, the other parts must be in pretty horrible shape!

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, when I peeled the price tag off, it's pre-bleach, not bleach.

So is their any good Bleach I can use for both E-6 and C-41 interchangably? I'm not apposed to mixing it myself from scratch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've posted a good E6 bleach here on APUG.

The pre-bleach that I have is clear and colorless and therefore yours is probably not any good. It is an essential step in the process for good dye stability.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pre-Bleach is indeed colourless.. I got fresh stuff here.. I've got old E-6 CD starter that is red though, but it still works just fine! (E-6 CD is essential for CD replenisher last time I tried too).

Photo Engineer: Does your bleach work with Pre-Bleach?

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertZeroK View Post
    Well, when I peeled the price tag off, it's pre-bleach, not bleach.

So is their any good Bleach I can use for both E-6 and C-41 interchangably? I'm not apposed to mixing it myself from scratch.
    If you use C-41 bleach for E-6, skip the Pre-Bleach step, or you will get retained silver. You could then use the Pre-Bleach at the end (or a stabiliser to replace it), before a final rinse.

I fooled around with that last night. Cleared the slides with a copper sulphate + sodium chloride bleach then a good wash and fix etc etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Athiril;

My bleach should work with PreBleach but I cannot guarantee it. The problem may be with the pH, as Kodak has been changing the pH of both the C41 and E6 bleaches for some reason.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin