Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,009   Online: 705

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

cibachrome vs. fujiflex

Anyone know if fujiflex will be as stable as cibachromes over time?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No. Someone will be along to explain better than I can, but a major part of the image stability of Ilfochrome/Cibachrome comes from both the high-purity Azo dyes embedded in the paper as well as the dye-destruction based P-5 process.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    a major part of the image stability of Ilfochrome/Cibachrome comes from both the high-purity Azo dyes embedded in the paper.
    Ilfochrome/Cibachrome is not coated on paper. It is a white Melinex (DuPont's trade name for poyester).

EDIT: Apparently there is a resin coated paper version too: http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...ilfochrome.pdf

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 03-10-2011 at 11:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, Ilfo/Cibachrome is in a class by itself.

Dye-destruction, silver-dye-bleach processes are fundamentally different than color-coupler, chromogenic prints.

That's not to say that the latter's stability will be bad, but the former's stability is fantastic.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Ilfochrome/Cibachrome is not coated on paper. It is a white Melinex (DuPont's trade name for poyester).

EDIT: Apparently there is a resin coated paper version too: http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...ilfochrome.pdf

Steve.
    I know it's not coated on paper, but "paper" is the common term for photographic printing material. Besides, the OP was comparing two polyester-base printing materials, so I assume he would know what I was referring to.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin