Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,625   Online: 744

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Finally Got my Ducks in a row - starting RA4 printing

Well, after quite a while trying to get all my gear sorted, I am finally waiting on my last component so I can start RA-4 printing at home (the paper).

I am planning to process using a Jobo, with Tetenal chems (I have the 5L kit) at 35dg C. The paper that I have ordered is the Fuji Type II gloss (lustre was out of stock dammit!)

Does anyone have any filter figures that I could use as a starting point?

In relation to washing the prints, the kit says 3 x 30sec washes in the drum. Would it be worth my while to wash a little longer in a RC washing tray? Or is this just a waste?

What else will I need to consider?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would (and do when I print RA-4 at home) wash in a tray.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I dabbled with RA4 in a Jobo drum, but quickly switched to using open trays - The hassle of drying the drum between each print and burning through paper swayed me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Burning through paper? I am not sure what you mean.

In relation to letting the drum dry, were you letting it air dry? Or trying to dry it out?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Wipe down with a towel and then hair dryer to get the last few smears of water out - Always seemed to have one drop lurking somewhere that wouldn't budge.

I got hold of two 8" wide rolls of Kodak RA4 paper dirt cheap, so had (still have) plenty to play with - When tweaking 5-10 units of C, Y or M to get the colours looking right, you'd be surprised at how much paper gets used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Well, after quite a while trying to get all my gear sorted, I am finally waiting on my last component so I can start RA-4 printing at home (the paper).

I am planning to process using a Jobo, with Tetenal chems (I have the 5L kit) at 35dg C. The paper that I have ordered is the Fuji Type II gloss (lustre was out of stock dammit!)

Does anyone have any filter figures that I could use as a starting point?

In relation to washing the prints, the kit says 3 x 30sec washes in the drum. Would it be worth my while to wash a little longer in a RC washing tray? Or is this just a waste?

What else will I need to consider?
    Hoffy,

For the starting filter pack you may find filter info on the paper box; some boxes have this, some don't.

There are four basic variables; the type & batch paper, the type & batch of the film, the lighting in your scene, your enlarger.

The Jobo works just fine. It does take a bit of care to address the water drops but it is't that tough. The Jobo is easier for me and much more pleasant "aromatically".

I do a 30 second first rinse to knock off the big chunks, followed by a 60 final rinse, I have seen no reason to wash more.

The process is essentially designed to go to completion so a little extra time in the developer, blix, or rinse won't hurt. Don't go too far though.

View the prints "where they will be hung". The lighting in my darkroom is different than anyplace mine will ever be seen. The lighting where they will be hung has a huge effect on how the colors are viewed.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agreed on all so far. I used paper towels to dry drums. I used to use the cibachrome drums which when disassembled were pretty fast and easy to clean and dry. However, switching to a processor (fujimoto CP-31) sped things up considerably and is so much faster and easier to use. Starting filtration should be on the box but if not try something like 55M 40Y or 65M 50Y. Those are the usual starting filtrations on Kodak Endura.

I too go through a fair bit of paper, not usually wastefully but just churning through prints once I get going.

If using drums having 2 or more is a good idea, that way you can wash and dry one while the other is processing, that speeds things up a lot.

congrats on getting some RA-4 done at home! It's quite satisfying to be able to make your own color prints, I think.

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, thanks. I had often wondered why no one ever mentioned using paper towel to dry the drums. That's what I was going to do. I am assuming that any residual water in the drum will be detrimental to the final print?

And, as for a second drum, yes, I would like to pick one up.....which in itself is not the most easiest thing to locate around here!

And thanks for the filter tips. I hope they are written on the box. This I think is going to be the most challenging side of what I am about to start.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes the suggested filtration is usually printed on the box. And you seem to need only one tiny residual drop of water in the drum to create a streak on the paper. Paper towels have worked pretty well for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try 50M + 50Y as a starting point. You don't have to use the cyan filters. Have a great time and keep your chemicals a constant temp. The color balance will shift if the temperature changes. Dry your prints thoroughly before judging color balance and density.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin