Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,992   Online: 799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Repackaging Kodak E6 chemicals

With the demise of the 5l kit, I'm really wondering which way to go for my e6 processing - I'd prefer to stay with the 6 bath instead of the 3 bath (both for quality, and to some extent cost - I use a phototherm processor, so most chemistry is one shot).

I could buy larger quantities of the chemicals, but I'm not sure of the shelf life once opened - it's a pretty large investment after all to buy what are now the minimum quantities.

Is there any source that is repackaging to smaller quantities of E6 (like C41 from the Formulary)?

Failing that, does anyone have any knowledge of problems I'd run into by repackaging myself?

My thought is to put into smaller bottles (polyethylene?), then top with Argon (I have a TIG welder, so already have argon at home). I'd then be able to dilute to working solutions when I'm ready to actually develop.

The mixing from minilab kits seems relatively straightforward - am I missing anything before I decide to spend the money on chemistry?

Thanks,

matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The chemical bottles are typically high density polyethylene terapthalate (HDPE) and not simple PET.

Topping with an inert gas should do you fine. I was lazy with some 'expired' Kodak chemical concentrates I got in 2008 and never topped off the concentrates.. still got them and they're still fine.

One word of advice.. if you pour too much out of the bottle into a container.. dont pour it back in, as you dont want to contaminate the concentrate, separate for next use.

I can't see where you'd go wrong if done correctly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    fyi, I contacted badger graphic about making a order for fuji's Chrome 6 5liter kits. He said it would be possible but would likely require an order for a couple hundred of them. Not promising.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, group order time. I'll go for 3.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Im interested in a few also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir
    Im interested in a few also.
    Woo-Hoo. A hundred ninety something to go!

We're on a roll now.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd be interesting in a few.

Wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper though to do a group order from the UK?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    this would be most excellent...
    I've put off buying anymore E6 film stock for the moment considering I'm working through my last Kodak 5L kit.

I still have some Astia in 220 and a bulk can of 135 Provia not to mention the odd 120 rolls of other stuff in my freezer. (Even some 400 speed EPL)

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the great info. It looks like this will be quite straightforward.

Would of course appreciate anyone pointing out any potential pitfalls.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Trebla E-6 Kits can be purchased in packs that are already broken up into 5L and 10L parts. Starters could need to be split up, but they are cheap enough to just buy a starter for everyone. Anyone have any experiance with Trebla e-6?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin