Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,250   Online: 781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

120 C-41 process/printing??

Any suggestions for mail-order processing/printing vendors for 120?

I can get reasonable local service for 35mm, but turn-around for 120 is 2 or 3 weeks! I'm set up to do my own BW in both formats, but I really don't particularily want to get into C-41 printing, although having done Ektachrome I would not be fearful of processing C-41 negatives.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    E-Six in Atlanta is good, I've used them before, but I think turn around time may be similar plus you'll be stuck with shipping cost and time. If you have multiple rolls, you might consider UPS Ground as your return service, from Atlanta, I would assume most parts of GA are one to two day service.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C-41 is really easy - and cheap - to do if you're already set up for B&W developing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Samy's Santa Barbara (http://www.samys805.com/film-processing/) has good prices and very high quality dip-n-dunk processing if you cannot find anything good locally.

They charge $5 for 35mm, $5.25 for 120, and $7.95 for 220.

Additionally, they currently have a special mail order rate for E-6 film. It is $5 per roll for 135, 120, or 220. $5 for 220 is an especially great bargain.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many thanks, folks. Samy's sounds like a good deal; its always nice to hear from users.

If I process C-41 myself I'd probably want to accumulate several rolls since I imagine the chemicals have a somewhat limited shelf life after having been mixed - I know the various E-x processes, at least from The Great Yellow Father, are only good for a week or two.

I remember projecting 4 x 4 "Superslides" that I'd processed - that might have been E-2, you had to re-expose the film with a photo flood lamp! What a splash they made following 35mm. Wish there were some affordable 6 x 6 projectors.

Any thoughts on other C-41 processes? Are Arista or Unicolor good choices?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a look at this thread on the Tetenal's longevity. I have the Unicolor kit and it seems to be rebranded Tentenal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Samy's Santa Barbara (http://www.samys805.com/film-processing/) has good prices and very high quality dip-n-dunk processing if you cannot find anything good locally.

They charge $5 for 35mm, $5.25 for 120, and $7.95 for 220.

Additionally, they currently have a special mail order rate for E-6 film. It is $5 per roll for 135, 120, or 220. $5 for 220 is an especially great bargain.
    I was planning on using them for E-6, but the site comes up "Account Not Available"

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a big fan of http://120processing.com/

They are super dedicated to film processing and are awesome people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do C41 myself using kodak chemistry. I save up about 48 rolls before running a 5L batch. Mixed chems will last probably a month at least, if in air-purged bottles (e.g. argon/etc.). Cost per roll (any format) is well under $1/roll. It's as easy as B&W to process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also use the JOBO/Tetenal/Unicolor 1L kits. They work great. I've done 24 rolls over a 4 month period in a single 1L kit, just putting the 3 bottles in a root cellar, not even refrigerated so it lasts longer than you think. Works great, less than $1/roll, done in 20 minutes or so (1:00 pre-soak, 3:30 dev, 6:30 blix, wash, 1:00 stabilizer).

Only difference to B&W is the 39C temperature and some report being able to run it at room temperature for longer but I haven't tried it since I'm getting good results just using hot tap water to warm it up and keep it warm in a bucket.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin