Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,658   Online: 1109

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an example of the potential retro look of fuji instant. Speed graphic's lens provides the lack of depth of field.

Replace the child with a girl dressed in brown corduroy leaning on a babyfood colored volvo p1800es and you're hitting retro on all cylinders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Replace the child with a girl dressed in brown corduroy leaning on a babyfood colored volvo p1800es and you're hitting retro on all cylinders.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you really experimenting with film? start trying as many different emultions (positive/negative) as you can then you will see which one leads you to where you want to go.

From your examples I don't believe you are looking to replicate those images, you are just bothered to be so far away from them: maybe its because you keep shooting digital?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The top and bottom photos benefit from high contrast. The bottom one can benefit from high saturation as well. Something like Kodak Ektar 100 would work decently. The other two are more ordinary, and would benefit from a professional film like Kodak Portra. In general, an amateur film like Kodak Gold 200 would be a good compromise for all.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This look is largely achieved now in digital post-production. With film, it's hit-or-miss with no combination of film, processing or gear assuring immediate, consistent results. Jonathan Leder is getting this and other vintage looks with film--purportedly with no digital processing--at Jacques magazine. I'd try current films with chalky, dialed down saturation and contrast like Fuji 400H and rate it at ISO100 for starters or just over-expose the bejessus out of it. I had some luck with Kodak's now-departed E200 slide film which was almost pallid compared to other Ektachrome materials. I'd avoid consumer C41 films which tend toward ramped-up saturation and contrast. It'll be a fishing trip but worth it if you can nail a few.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The second shot is from Ryan Mcginley http://ryanmcginley.com/

For that shot he used a yashica t4 and what looks like cheap consumer film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by court2407 View Post
    Dear APUGS, .... So far none of my teachers have been much help.

Courtney
    Not surprised.
    The shots, which are very typical of a point and shoot camera like the top two are also two or more stops overexposed, are on a cheap C41 stock like Kodak Gold or maybe a store branded film (Ritz/CVS etc.)
    The streakers show a shutter lagging PS camera (middle overexposed, edges fine). Think CHEAPO.
    You should get your flea-market shoes on and look for anything under a buck. Buy several. Get some 12 shot rolls and try out some shots on bright days, some right into the sun, and some while running, etc.

A durable tool for this is the Pentax WR-90, which can be had for cheap. It may be too good a lens though. Reloading a disposable works too.
    Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if the original OP vanished from Earth?

NO BUT SERIOUSLY, this thread is still in the "Articles" section, where it does not belong. Strangely, when you click on it it takes you to this thread, which is also (simultaneously?) in the forums.

I've already hit the ! triangle and mentioned this but nothing happened. It doesn't belong in the articles section, even if it does link straight to the thread. It's very odd, please hit the ! triangle and bring this to the attention of the moderators and let's preserve the sanctity of our articles section!!

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I vote for Kodak Gold 200.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

jon
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about the PX680 from the Impossible Project?
    Jon :: 18pct.com
    :: photoblog | tumblr | twitter | flickr | linkedin ::

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin