Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,052   Online: 865

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

HOW TO SELECT FILM/CAMERA FOR THIS AESTHETIC?

Dear APUGS,

I am posting this article as I need assistance in selecting a film/camera for a particular aesthetic. I am a third year student at a professional photographic college. I have extensively used digital slr's, 5"4 cameras, studios and have a collection of plastic cameras and old polaroid cameras.

I also have extensive experience in photoshop. The thing is, I am drawn to the raw aesthetic of film and havent had to much of an education in this realm of photography. Unfortunately, my college asserts that digital is the way of the future, therefore doesn't educate us about film. Some of my favourite photographers are Todd Hido, Stephen Shore, William Eggleston and Dash snow.

I am looking for find a film with a similar aesthetic to the colours of polaroid 600 film. I love the subdued warm colours and retro 70's vibe it has.

Please refer to these images.

Can anyone please recommend a film with a similar colour pallette to these images? Are these colours in the film, or to do with the processing? So far none of my teachers have been much help.

Courtney
    Last edited by court2407; 03-14-2011 at 11:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know a lot of people who use Fujii Pro 400H to get this kind of aesthetic.

e.g., just randomly
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/naosun/4741162607/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/christoph_z/4570787335/

I'm sure you can try some good ol' Xpro. Here's what I did with CDU-II xpro'd

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&...0&q=CDU&m=text

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I second rawhead's suggestion, also consider over exposing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've moved this post to the color film forum, as it's not an article, but a question about film. Also, it's not entirely appropriate to post pictures that are copyrighted to others... a link to the examples would be better.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Stephen Shore shot those using an 8x10 Deardorff camera and a 305 G-Claron lens on Kodak color negative film, then printed them on Kodak paper possibly on RA-4, however I am not sure if that process was in use then. He teaches at Bard College and will answer your question if you email him directly through his school email address.

Eggelston uses the dye transfer process for printing and achieves his colors that way. Todd Hido will answer your email, too. Try contacting him through his website. He shoots color negative film, though I don't know which brand. They are printed for him, most likely by lightjet or inkjet after scanning.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have gotten images like this by using
    color negative film ( expired ) and over exposing it
    but greg's right, email is easy ... and not
    a bunch of people's opinions
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The palette looks to b kodak. The first image looks very over exposed and slightly under developed (3 stops and 1 stop). the highway shot looks to be a shitty lens image film would be immaterial. If I were to guess the beach image looks to be portra 160vc fully exposed -- ei of ~80. The last image looks like NPS or possibly 160nc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last two images are high quality, ultra-sharp photographs. Any quality camera (are those MF??) can do that with good color film. The first two are, like others have said, probably some cheapo camera with a crappy lens and expired film.

Go to goodwill, get a camera, and start shooting! There's more to this "look" than equipment.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format

And Tell your School....

Also, tell your school "Film Is NOT Dead!" and that much about photography in general is learned by developing/printing film.

My skills are much improved as a result of taking film classes in b&w and in color (they teach the printing of color, and this has taught me quite a lot about what to look for and how to control it; they don't teach developing color film because the temperature controls are so tight and that's not realistic in a community college).
    Tim Flynn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can do some retro aesthetic stuff using fuji instant film, with variation in color/contrast provided by disobeying the time suggested for peeling it apart, and/or buying expired.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin