Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,750   Posts: 1,483,826   Online: 1077

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fujicolour crystal archive life time question

Hi

I thought of stocking up a bit on fujicolour paper which I have never done (but the 20x24 is soon gone...), so my question is how long can I expect fresh fujicolour crystal paper to last if I keep it frozen? I know it can be hard to predict but can I expect 1 year, 10 years, 20 years? What would be the first sign of decay?

cheers
    Last edited by sandholm; 03-16-2011 at 03:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe something like 5 years? Possibly more. You will start noticing fogging: whites are not perfectly white anymore and they might take a color cast. If this is acceptable, I think you can count many years more.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd agree with hrst, probably OK to buy 5 years worth.

I'm quite happy to keep film in the freezer for many years...I've recently used up some 20-year-outdated Kodachrome with no problems. The only difference with paper is that any problem (such as degraded whites or reduced contrast) will be difficult to correct. Whereas a slight age deterioration in film can be more easily put right at the printing (or scanning) stage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Maybe something like 5 years? Possibly more. You will start noticing fogging: whites are not perfectly white anymore and they might take a color cast. If this is acceptable, I think you can count many years more.
    If one had the space and was so inclined a walk in cold room would certainly be possible.

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    My darkroom often feels like a walk in cold room!
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I'd agree with hrst, probably OK to buy 5 years worth.

I'm quite happy to keep film in the freezer for many years...I've recently used up some 20-year-outdated Kodachrome with no problems. The only difference with paper is that any problem (such as degraded whites or reduced contrast) will be difficult to correct. Whereas a slight age deterioration in film can be more easily put right at the printing (or scanning) stage.
    Thanks for the replay, this is what I feared, five years is not much and its pretty rare that I print 20x24 when it comes to color.... I can easy freeze 20x24 so I think that I will pick up some packs and see how it work out. Film and B/W I freeze and even if its old it can (usually) be used. On the other hand I dont want a color cast from the paper...

thanks
    cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandholm View Post
    Thanks for the replay, this is what I feared, five years is not much and its pretty rare that I print 20x24 when it comes to color.... I can easy freeze 20x24 so I think that I will pick up some packs and see how it work out. Film and B/W I freeze and even if its old it can (usually) be used. On the other hand I dont want a color cast from the paper...

thanks
    cheers
    Where did you hear the 20x24 size was being discontinued?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Usually expired RA4 paper takes on a slight color-cast in the paper base. I've used 15+ year out of date Supra II and it printed ok, had a bit more yellow to the whites of the paper base than I'd like, but it was usable. Generally the paper base seems to yellow very slightly, when out of date, after a few years. It's really only noticable on the (white) borders of the print.

-Ed

Shooter
    35mm
    It would be very nice if there were a way to clear the light (yellow) fog that starts creeping up on color paper that is not new. True, you can still make great prints but, unlike BW paper that can be run though a quick, dilute Farmers reducer to bring back the true whites, color paper cannot achieve this. Or can it? Intuitively, I really think that there must be a way to remove, overall, a light tint of yellow with some chemistry unknown to me. If so, it would be gratifying to bring back those true, unadulterated whites.

Railwayman3 is correct when he says that the slight fog does not matter with color film: simply print though. And fog does not matter with BW film or paper because of what I just imparted about the Farmers reducer. The only achilles heel here is that darn color paper which MUST really be pristine. THAT alone is enough to envy the scanners and digital 'freaks' out there. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Where did you hear the 20x24 size was being discontinued?

Tom
    Well, from a friend at the photo club here, but when I looked it up its NOT the 20x24 that is discontinued, its the 10x12 and 16x20 . So my plan of freezing 20x24 will be placed on ice

thanks for all the replay

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin