Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,832   Online: 831

Shooter
    35mm

What C-print surface finish do you prefer?

I was just fixing to add a box of Crystal Archive to my Freestyle cart. I have never printed color so I don't have much of an opinion on glossy, matte, or "lustre" finish. For framed prints with no glass, which surface finish do you prefer? Is there a difference in the darkroom, or just for display?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like glossy more, but I use semi-glossy or "lustre" every now and then for some pictures. As you cannot control contrast as easily as in BW printing, I find that the semi-glossy finish gives a little bit lower contrast "look" to the print. If you can afford buying only one finish, take glossy, but having also semi-glossy at hand can be fun as some variation can be refreshing.

The Kodak papers I have print exactly with same filtration and printing times regardless of finish.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I think the glossy is too shiny. I prefer the matte since it reduces the gloss with out having a lot of texture like the lustre, which obscures very fine detail in my opinion.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    I use matt surface for portraits and gloss for all else.
    Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin